Cannot find a working P2P client for 10.3

Reaction score
I have tried *everything* I could find.

This comp. is a 700 Mhz PPC iBook, and I bought 10.3 for it 'cause it only had 10.2 and no system disks. The price difference between 10.3 and a PPC version of 10.4 is about $100, so please don't suggest that I upgrade (please note that 10.4 is also the highest that a PPC can take, and it isn't even worth it for this one, it runs just slow enough with 10.3 thank you very much)

I have gotten everything to work on this machine except P2P.

I've tried all old & new versions of:

Limewire
Frostwire
Poisoned
Cabos
Phex
Acqlite

Nothing works. Any suggestions?

It really ****** me off that Apple is so brutally & tyrannically totalitarian that they will not offer any Java updates beyond 1.4.2. Can someone have a word with them for me about it?
Thanks

Note: I also have all possible upgrades installed as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
try transmission!!
or tomato torrent!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
to be honest I never found anything I was looking for on these sorts of networks and even then the speeds and waiting was painful .. so yeah transmision :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In my opinion, the Gnutella network is notorious for illegal downloads and as a result, has gotten so heavily policed by different copyright-sensitive organizations that you'd have to be crazy to want to participate in it - even if it's for perfectly legitimate reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
In my opinion, the Gnutella network is notorious for illegal downloads and as a result, has gotten so heavily policed by different copyright-sensitive organizations that you'd have to be crazy to want to participate in it - even if it's for perfectly legitimate reasons.

doesn't that go for torrents as well? after all that's where all the rips and cracked/hacked software gets into the cycle :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
doesn't that go for torrents as well? after all that's where all the rips and cracked/hacked software gets into the cycle :)

Not necessarily. I use it for dowloading large files, like Linux distros. BT makes it a lot cheaper for small companies and devs to distribute their works.

OP
A
Reaction score
This is such an interesting discussion...One that should really be had in a national forum, like Congress or some such ;)

I think Bittorrent and Gnutella are both equally guilty of copyright infringement, but neither have been effectively shut down, so, in my opinion, they still remain viable, legitimate file sharing methods.

I think it's funny that Apple tried to protect individual mp4 songs, but then changed back very soon afterwards. That was a pain, for sure. Clearly didn't work either.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Apple didn't try to protect songs. They implemented a form of DRM to prevent redistribution in order to comply with the restriction that was forced upon them and every other legal purveyor of music by the music studios at that time.

OP
A
Reaction score
"lame" if you ask me...being a musician born into a family of and larger circle of musicians, the internet has thoroughly and completely destroyed any chance of any of us making money from recording albums.

Gnutella/P2P and Bittorrent have completely destroyed a way of life.

But, that doesn't mean that I think people shouldn't get to download every KISS album made since 1974 for free, if they choose to do so.

Kiss - Discography (26 Albums).rar Torrent Download
(I mean, it's right frickin' there^ everywhere, if the Fed's really wanted to arrest people for this, I would assume they could track every seeder back to their house via their IP address)

Music is better and more powerful than anything else in life, and the internet is never going away, so lets all just get used to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.