Publisher for Mac ???

T

tajjster

I can't seem to find a conclusive answer anywhere.. I've got Office:2003, Student&Teacher Ed, and it doesn't include MS Publisher. Nor do the other releases of Office for Mac, afaik.

From what I've gathered, publisher is a proprietary format and MS hasn't even released a free downloadable 'viewer', like they have for Word? WTG encouraging use of your file format, Microsoft..

In short, my query:
I have a few .pub files on my computer.. without transferring them to someone elses windows machine, is there any way of viewing it (OO.O? other viewers?) and/or converting to PDF (online or software tools?)

I have Adobe Acrobat & Distiller, but I haven't had any luck so far.

Help??? Surely *someone* out there is experiencing similar problems, or can point me in the right direction?

OP
J

Jefe3223

You may be in trouble, but not because it was created on a PC. Files created by any desktop publishing software are not easy to use in another application. The files are designed to be printed.

Your best hope is if you can export the Microsoft Publisher files (on the pc) to a format that you can open. That's all I know.

OP
T

tajjster

Thanks for advice.

Jefe3223 said:
You may be in trouble, but not because it was created on a PC. Files created by any desktop publishing software are not easy to use in another application. The files are designed to be printed. Your best hope is if you can export the Microsoft Publisher files (on the pc) to a format that you can open. That's all I know.
It seems that way, good point about desktop publishing files, I didn't even think about it like that, I was just concentrating on opening the darned thing! Oh well, thanks for clarifying, I thought I may have missed some obvious tool. I'll make sure in future that I receive all design work in PDF/PSD.

:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
Do you mean Office 2004? That is the latest Mac version; the latest Windows version is 2003.

But... stay away from Publisher files if at all possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, unfortunately there is no version of MS Publisher for Mac (which I honestly think is a shame) nor any way to open those files on a Mac.

Going forward a nice alternative to Publisher on the Mac is probably Pages. I also use InDesign CS but it's of course not as user friendly or easy to use as Pages or Publisher.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can't remember the URL but the other day I read that if you have Adobe Pagemaker for OSX, it has a filter that will convert Publisher documents over. I will see if I can find that url again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
No, that Publisher filter is only for the Windows version of PageMaker; doesn't work for the Mac version of PageMaker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.