MobileMe eMail crashes the iPhone Mail app

Reaction score
Since yesterday, my iPhone Mail app has been crashing 3-5 secs after open it, returning me to the iPhone home page. I can't seem to read my mail and this issue has rendered my Mail app useless. Not even restarting fixed this.
I have 2 accounts on my iPhone. One Gmail account and my MobileMe account. I started deactivating and activating accounts and found that my MobileMe account caused the problem. As soon as I deactivated it, the Mail app worked great! I deactivated Gmail and activated MobileMe and the problem came back... So I figured there must be something wrong with my MobileMe account settings. These are the steps I followed while trying to fix the problem but to no avail:

1. I deleted my MobileMe account from my iPhone
2. I then re-made it again but nothing... the same issue
3. I then restored my iPhone... nothing
4. I upgraded to 3.01 OS... nothing
5. I searched the web and Apple support... nothing

I would like to ask all iPhone users out there, if they have had the same experience with their MobileMe eMail account on the iPhone Mail app and if yes, what have they done to fix it?

Thanks

Reaction score
iPhone Mail Crash

I am having the same trouble. I have reset my phone, deleted accounts and replaced them, yadda yadda. .me appears to work, but other imap's just do not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Does mail crash when you delete the MM e-mail account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you need to take it to an Apple store and the a Genius look at it.

Reaction score
Yep

Does mail crash when you delete the MM e-mail account?

My email app crashes with either account, with either one by its self or both installed.

I think maybe a bug fix is in order since last week's firmware update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it were a bug it would be more wide spread. Mine works fine.

Reaction score
No Luck

I've tried to restore my phone from a back-up. I tried resore as a new phone. I tried deleting each mail account separately, collectively, and putting them back.

Both MM and my insightbb email (SMTP) return me to my home screen before I get to even open a message.

Time to find a real Genius, I guess!

Reaction score
Genius

I did seek help with a genius at an Apple Store. Once he varified my issue, he said I get a new phone! I was totally shocked as it is A 3G, just over a year old. That's when I heard the rest of his statement--if I have AppleCare....

I didn't, so I didn't! Still with no mail. Bummer.

Reaction score
E-mail crash also without Mobile-me

I have the same problem since yesterday....
My e-mail app crashes all the time and I do not use Mobile-me.
I have some POP3 accounts and gMail accounts. Worked fine since last year.
Until yesterday.
I have a 3G iphone (purchased last November) and have installed all upgrades/updates. Today I did a restore, but this did not help.
Any suggestions anybody?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPhone, iPod
I don't know if this is any use, but I was having the same problem and mentioned it to a friend of mine. He suggested that it may be crashing due to there not being enough memory to keep everything running.

My iPhone is a 3G and was bought last December, so less then a year old. I've also been installing all the upgrades etc, but ironically, it could be these that is causing the trouble. If it's all about making it quicker, better, more efficient, then it's going to need more memory. Possibly one of the upgrades is now stretching the older generation iPhones???

What I tried after my mate had suggested this, was simply opening mail and not doing a thing until after it had done it's search for mail..... it always seemed to crash at this point, and lo and behold - it worked fine, but only as long as I leave it - don't try scrolling through the different accounts, browsing old emails etc. I didn't seem to like this, which is when it would crash.....

He also suggested a free app, that can check how much memory was free and if needs be clear space for some more if you are experiencing real problems.

Like I say, it's only a suggestion - it may not work but mine now works without a hitch as long as I leave it be for the first few seconds of iMail opening.

Let me know if that helps.

Bex

Reaction score
Same Issue

I have had the same issue with Mail crashing the whole time. I spoke to a couple of email admins at my work and they thought it could be that I had too much email in my inbox. I cleared it out, and restarted my iPhone and it help but it still happens.

I was pretty stuck as I used my iPhone for work, I ended up searching the app store and found an app called AltaMail iPhone Email Printing App, view/print contact email history, save attachments . I now use this instead and it works well, I can even file email by contact.

Anyway try clearing out your email and restarting your iPhone

Reaction score
E-mail crash may indeed be a memory issue....

Since I reported my problems with the e-mail app (10/4), I proceeded to first delete all my e-mails from the server of my provider (after) donwloading them on my PC of course! AEvery time I restarted the e-mail app on my iPhone it started to download all e-mails and there were many (> 100), causing it to crash. After that, I restarted the iPhone (so no e-mail were found) and the app didn't crash any longer. Now, i try to keep deleting e-mails as I go along in order not to build up to many e-mails at once to be downloaded.....It could therefore be a memeory overload problem...I haven't pinpointed the exact casue yet, but from what I read above this all seems related anyway. I will try the e-mail app that was suggested here.:D

Reaction score
iphone crashes with email

Try deleting specific emails from a webserver. THen delete the account from the iphone and add it back again. This seems to help with me but has left me with emails I can no longer delete from the iphone.

Anyway found a better solution?

Reaction score
Simalar symptoms.. issue was a bug in iPhone Mail handling large messages.

Environment: New phone, updated to 3.1.3. Configure an Exchange EMAIL account, authenticate and allow mail to sync.
Symptoms: Mail client crashes send user back to home screen
• Open Mail client, status at the bottom of screen will show updating, then updated with the working icon disappearing from the bottom status bar, but continuing to show communication on the upper status bar, randomly the mail app crashes. Sometimes this occurs in 10~15 secs other times it may take 20 secs. Also if you attempt to move a message, mail app will crash every time.

Troubleshooting steps and resolution.
  1. 1. Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings : Still Unresolved
  2. 2. Shutdown any other mail clients accessing the email account: Still Unresolved
  3. 3. Settings/Mail/Select Account/Delete Account , Recreate Account, selecting only Mail (no contacts, calendars): Still Unresolved
  4. 4. Performed Backup and restore to factory 3.1.3. : Still unresolved.
  5. 5. Deleted all messages larger than 7MB and moved all but 400 messages out of mail box. (had 4K in there before.. but support tells me this is not an issue.. only size, but typically size is a memory issue.. so I suspect there could be a combination of #item * size of items issue too)
  6. 6. Problem solved.

Although now that I understand the root cause of the issue I had, there are some steps that they had me go through that where unnecessary, but that is hind sight and I digress, I will just say that they could have reordered (Outlook/exchange allows you to easily move message, simply doing step 5 first would have identified the issue in less time) and eliminated the need for some of the more drastic steps taken(wiping the phone and reload) in a shorter amount of time (spent 3 hours with them working this issue, probably could have resolved in an hour if we reorder the steps.)

Overall one of the best support experiences I have ever had. No language barriers, prompt and efficient, superb experience, both the initial call handler (Level 1) as well as subsequent level 3 support. Even have the ability to schedule a call back, awesome!!. Other companies need to pay attention to the APPLE support results.

OP
P
Reaction score
Since upgrading to 3.1.2 the problem has gone away for me... Some bug in the iPhone OS probably caused this, or maybe it was something wrong with the MobileMe service.

Reaction score
Mail Crashes

That sounds very encouraging but (as a crash victim) I'm not sure how to Delete mails when use of Delete instantly crashes the Mail programme. Do you mean one should delete the mails in the desktop Inbox, not the iPhone itself? If so, how many - I have hundreds in the desktop and 40 in my iPhone.

Reaction score
My previous mail was referring to the suggestion that iPhone Mail crashes could be solved by deleting mails larger than 7Mb from the Inbox.

Reaction score
iPhone Mail app crashes SOLVED (for me..)

I have been plagued with this issue for quite some time. Every time I open iPhone's native mail app it crashes and closes within 3 - 5 seconds and returns me to the springboard. I am on a 3gs running 4.0.1 jailbroken.

Well, I finally figured out what the problem was... I inadvertently removed an app from my phone called tlert and miraculously my mail app works again.

I simply removed tlert through Cydia and poof, mail is back in business. I have no idea what the reason is but it worked for me and hopefully it will work for some of you guys as well.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.