Cannot print to Epson SP R1800 since installing Snow Leopard! :(

Reaction score
Since installing OS X 10.6 (followed by the updated Epson "drivers & utilities package" plus the common updater) on my Mac Pro, I can no longer print to my Epson SP R1800 printer.

When I attempt to print from within Photoshop CS4, the Photoshop print progress bar shows the file is being sent to the printer successfully, but when the printer dialogue box evokes, the print queue remains empty...

Can anyone please offer a solution?

Susie

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
S
Reaction score
Epson Stylus Photo R1800, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.

There are new drivers that support 10.6 they claim. I checked Epson's forums and the person who was having the same issue you were having say they work. Check out the URL above.

Also check out the discussion here.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Epson R1800 Printer no longer works ...

Thanks so much for your reply, but the link you quote refers to the updated 10.6 drivers that I've actually already installed...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder what is up? I will search some more and get back if I can find something. Some in that thread say it works. Strange.

Reaction score
can't print as well

I am having the exact same problem. If a solution comes up, could you please post it thanks

Reaction score
Gutenprint v5.2.3

Go to 'system preferences', 'print and fax', click on your printer, click 'Options & Supplies', click 'Driver', click 'select printer software', and finally select 'Epson Stylus Photo R1800 - Gutenprint v5.2.3'.

This certainly clears the problem of not being to print at all and gives you many more printer specific options, which seem to have disappeared with the latest Epson driver. However I haven't yet tested it with a wide variety of print options to see if there are other problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 in i5 OS 10.6.2
Epson driver on an iMac with MAC OS 10.6.2

I have a Epson Stylus Photo R800 printer and an iMac with the OS 10.6.2. The printer works only with the basic gutenprint ver 5.2.3 driver. This driver is absolutely inadequate for printing photos. I installed the snow leopard epson driver indicated on the epson site for drivers download (epson 131917.dmg) and it seems to be the same gutenprint driver (which again is inadequate for photo printing). I spoke with some people at Apple-support and they told me that Epson has not yet updated their driver for the R800.
If anyone knows better, please give me the good news.

Reaction score
I have a Epson Stylus Photo R800 printer and an iMac with the OS 10.6.2. The printer works only with the basic gutenprint ver 5.2.3 driver. This driver is absolutely inadequate for printing photos. I installed the snow leopard epson driver indicated on the epson site for drivers download (epson 131917.dmg) and it seems to be the same gutenprint driver (which again is inadequate for photo printing). I spoke with some people at Apple-support and they told me that Epson has not yet updated their driver for the R800.
If anyone knows better, please give me the good news.

I have an imac and just upgraded to Snow Leopard. I had a problem printing with the R1800 (which is similar to the $800 I beileve). I downloaded the driver and installed it, but it didn't work. I ended up just deleting the printer in the system preferences. I turned it off, turned it back on, and then added the printer in again. It works now. Not sure if that will solve your problem.

HTH
~Maddy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Had the same problem with my Epson TX550W. Go into System preferences and delete the printer, reboot, back into System Preferences and hit the little + button under Print & Fax > Print and it should then appear again and be selected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.