Screen bright spots/scratches

Reaction score
I have a 17' MacBook pro that is just over a year old. It has the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Graphics/Display. I just noticed three bright white spots on my screen. They are much larger than pixel size and are more noticeable when a white background window is open on the screen. When a different colour is manoeuvred over these spots they are not as bright but still visible. I've seen 1 post of this type but no real ideas as to what the problem is. Anybody else with a similar problem? Where does a person go after warranty has expired to lodge a complaint?

The following was added Sept.05, 2009. Since yesterday I have found 4 more of these spots for a total of seven.

I've also noticed a lot of posts regarding screen scratches on macs laptops caused buy the key pad when the unit is closed. My guess is they are caused when we pack them around with us. I wonder why apple didn't warn people of this serious issue? Is there a way to repair these scratches without replacing the screen? Do you think apple should be supplying protective key covers at point of sale to prevent these scratches or at least warn their customers of this possibility?

Reaction score
Screen issues

I take impeccable care of my MAC and have had it for 4 weeks. I just noticed 4-5 "pinhead" scratches (very tiny "holes"). The are also more visible on white than on color. I've read several other posts with similar issues.

For me, I'm going nuts trying to figure out how the heck I did this!

I agree that this is an issue for MacBook Pros. I'm curious if there are screen scratch repair kits that work. I could replace the screen for around a grand...but I don't want to just get another screen that will scratch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
I take impeccable care of my MAC and have had it for 4 weeks. I just noticed 4-5 "pinhead" scratches (very tiny "holes"). The are also more visible on white than on color. I've read several other posts with similar issues.

For me, I'm going nuts trying to figure out how the heck I did this!

I agree that this is an issue for MacBook Pros. I'm curious if there are screen scratch repair kits that work. I could replace the screen for around a grand...but I don't want to just get another screen that will scratch!

If your mac is only 4 weeks old, talk to apple and they will take care of the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.