Screen bright spots/scratches

Reaction score
I have a 17' MacBook pro that is just over a year old. It has the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Graphics/Display. I just noticed three bright white spots on my screen. They are much larger than pixel size and are more noticeable when a white background window is open on the screen. When a different colour is manoeuvred over these spots they are not as bright but still visible. I've seen 1 post of this type but no real ideas as to what the problem is. Anybody else with a similar problem? Where does a person go after warranty has expired to lodge a complaint?

The following was added Sept. 05, 2009. I have found an additional 4 spots since yesterday for a total of seven.

I've also noticed a lot of posts regarding screen scratches on macs laptops caused buy the key pad when the unit is closed. My guess is they are caused when we pack them around with us. I wonder why apple didn't warn people of this serious issue? Is there a way to repair these scratches without replacing the screen? Do you think apple should be supplying protective key covers at point of sale to prevent these scratches or at least warn their customers of this possibility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just doing a quick search and found there where a few people around the place with same problem.
Not noticeable on dark background but on the lighter and white very noticeable, and the same conclusion all around is its to be replaced ???

Have u extended apple care ??
If not i think its probable that u will have to replace it out of pocket if its still not under warranty.
really couldnt find an answer to why there there tho ..

Edit : Little more searching and found this Might be more helpful to why it is occurring. More common place than u think

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.