Is the Glass Plate Cover on the iMac 24" Not Covered by the Warranty

Reaction score
I purchased my iMac 24" Alum 5 months ago... along with the extended Apple Care Protection Plan. I recently discovered when I moved the computer and the afternoon sun shined directly onto the screen that there were irregular smudges and smears on the other side of the glass plate. I spoke to Apple Support and they suggested that I contact either my local Apple Store or an Authorized Repair Service. The authorized repair service, in turn, informed told me that the glass needs to be replaced but it isn't covered by either the warranty or the extended protection plan. Is that conceivable if it came that way from the factory and with the extended coverage that I have? Would appreciate any actions or suggestions regarding this situation or anyone who has experience with this aspect of the warranty or extended plan.

Thanks for your time and input.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Call Apple again or or an Apple store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
If the glass is just dirty and not cracked or broken it can be cleaned very easily. there is a couple of "HOW-TOs" Youtube that show you that the front glass is just held in place by magnets. most electronics stores carry a cleaner that's is made for computer displays. If you use regular glass cleaner it may leave a haze after a couple weeks. If you not comfortable with doing it yourself, I bet if you if asked real nice at a Apple store they might do it for you at a minimal charge or maybe even free.

HTH ,Rick

Reaction score
Surely that cannot be right? Try and speak to someone who is higher up... how is it possible for the INSIDE of the glass to have smudges? Speak to someone about it.

Having said that, it would probably be much less trouble if you just removed the glass cover and cleaned it yourself (if indeed it is just dirty). All you need is a simple suction cup to remove the glass which is held in place by magnets.

Do you notice the smudges/smears when the monitor is on? I find that the glass covering does get smudged up (on the front) but I never notice is unless the monitor is off. I did take the glass cover off and gave it a clean but to be honest it's probably not worth it unless it's really bothering you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.