G5 Will not sleep/shut down

Reaction score
I have a G5 that is about 5 years old... For some reason it will not sleep or shut down... When I try to do either one of those actions it does simi-sleep/shut down, but not completely. By that I mean it sounds like the hard drive spins down but then fans still are running. After about two minutes the fans spin way up and the Mac won't start back up... I have to pull the power on my battery backup. I took it to the shop (Not an apple store) and they reinstalled the OS for me and put some new ram in. Supposedly they "Fixed' the problem... Well, not so much.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? Thanks guys so much!

Your friend,

Caleb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the Forums.

What OS are you using on the G5 as the post does not say so assume Tiger or Leopard.

Most problems as you describe are caused by applications not quitting and of these, many are login items. To see what is booted at login, go to System Preferences > System > Accounts > Login Items. Start to make them inactive one at a time, or remove completely until the machine starts to sleep and shut down correctly.

Another suggestion is to download Applejack and install. Print and read the manual, select single mode on boot and run the auto restart for cleaning.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Harry for your help... I did both of those things, and it still has the same problem... I'm running Leopard by the way.

Could this be a sign that my Mac is crapping out on me?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Caleb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Set up a new account and see if you have the same problems. If so, maybe the HDD is failing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In interests of troubleshooting try Command/Option/Eject will that force it to sleep?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.