13" Running much hotter than before?

Reaction score
hello all. first post but i've been browsing around for a while..anyways..

to start off..i bought my umbp 13" in july..
when sleeping one night..i woke up to a loud fan noise..
apparently i fell asleep on my pillow, which was on top of my laptop keyboard
it was running VERY hot..i cooled it off..
but ever since then my macbook has been running at about upper 50's to 60's degrees celcius..
i know for some that may be normal but it defintely wasnt running that warm when i first bought it..
yes it's my fault..but is there any way the genuis bar could take a look at it and either fix something or replace something under warranty to make it run cooler?
(i already tried resetting pram and smc along with downloading smc fan control..etc..)
and i also upgraded to snow leopard which seems to make it run a couple of degrees celcius warmer as well..

and also the other day..it kept getting hotter and HOTTER..started from upper 50's all the way to upper 70's while just browsing safari..
doesnt it seem like something is faulty? (just my opinion..)
i did tho of course cool it and it stayed in the mid 60's..

so in conclusion..(sorry for the long post..) would i be able to fix or replace anything under warranty at the apple store? i'd rather not mess with it myself for now..since i have warranty..

thanks in advanced for the help guys!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
and also the other day..it kept getting hotter and HOTTER..started from upper 50's all the way to upper 70's while just browsing safari..
doesnt it seem like something is faulty? (just my opinion..)
i did tho of course cool it and it stayed in the mid 60's..

70's (C) can be fairly normal...especially if you're doing a lot of gaming, or watching dvd's, or watching internet videos.

I would say 50's to 60's if you're just doing e-mail, word processing, or internet forums.

Different Mac laptops will run slightly differently as well depending on hardware & laptop size (13", 15" or 17").

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.