burning cds

Reaction score
i've had a constant problem, the 'medium write error' when burning cd's. So i brought it in, they did a firewire boot to a separate install of osx, and they were able to burn a cd. They told me that it was a driver issue and that a fresh install of osx should fix it. i figured i'd wait till snowleopard. i did, and just did an upgrade. the problem remains

my ideas

1. when they tested it, they tested a small amount to be burned (didnt fully test the superdrive) and the super drive is fautly

2. the snowleopard UPGRADE didnt affect the drivers, maybe if a do a fresh install it will fix it?

3. my cd's are very old and super drive is finicky with certain brand of blank cd's.

what should i try?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All burners can be finicky with brands of cd's.
The age of the disks shouldn't matter, but at the price of blanks nowadays, I'd get some more first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.