• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

cant open (minidv) AVI file imported from camcoder on a PC machine

K

kajama

i have avi file (10gb) imported from my sony camcoder on a pc machine. bu i can not open or play it on my powerbook even with final cut pro =( videoinfo on a pc machine says that it is Mainconcept dv codec but. i found only encoder =( wich cant open this file to. any ideas? may be it is a codec issue?
thank you in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
install divX codec, or download DivX doctor II, which cam convert .avi files to .mov.
make search in google for "codecs for quicktime" and install everyting you can find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
what happens when you try to open the files with quicktime?
do you get pixelated video with no sound or get an error massage saying file type not supported?

OP
K

kajama

no it just stops. displaynig a filename. it was encoded from camcoder using mainconcept dv codec. which i can not find for mac os x. i installed ffmpegx wich using a lot of codecs but even this program cannot open this file and even get it info. if i'm not mistaken *** is all about this Mainconcept mpeg2 codec. mac os x adobe premiere 6.5 cannot open this file to =) weird but ..... ma be there is no way to open it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
ok, I see. can you open it on windows PC? if so try to convert it there to some more readable format.

OP
K

kajama

yep on windows i can. i'll do that but i wanted to convert it on my powerbook. whatever =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.