Best way to migrate iTunes Library

I

inwoodarmy

Hi all,

I bought an ibook over a year ago to see if I could work with the mac os and generally to think about switching for real - full time. Well the time has come, I added more memory, bigger h'disks and purchased a 40GB ipod and now my ibook need to be replaced... with a G5 Powermac. So guess what, I bought one and a nice 20inch flat screen as well. While I'm waiting for it to arrive I'm thinking about how I'm going to migrate my iTunes library and all my docs and stuff. I think I've got most thinks covered but don't know the best way to move my iTunes stuff over.

Does anyone have any ideas that they could put my way?

Many thanks in advance

Gary

OP
P

PowerbookG417

do you let itunes to manage all your song files...cause if you do you could take the whole music folder and just over write it on your G5 then when you load itunes it should pick it back up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
connect two computers with firewire, restart iBook in target mode (hold down "T" key during startup), copy the contents of your music folder (all folders and files) on iBook to music folder on G5. don't forger the "itunes music library" file. you will be asked weather you want to replace old files with new, click "replace". when copying is done launch iTunes. if you did everything right, all your playlists will be kept the way you had on iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep Apple has created Target mode just for your purpose, do exactly what Mac-simus said and you'll be good to go.

OP
I

inwoodarmy

Thanks everyone for your help. When my lovely new G5 arrives I'll get straight to it.

Thanks once again.

Gary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.