Caps Lock reversed

Reaction score
Hi all,
Two weeks ago, I bought a MBP 17 2.8GHz, OS X 10.5.8 (my first Mac ever) and I am now facing my first issue.
The Caps Lock key is sometimes getting reversed. When the key is on (light on), it types lower case letters. When the key is off, it types capital letters. This issue appears quite randomly every 4-5 boots.
How annoying for a machine this price! Did anyone encounter this issue on recent MBP? I have looked at different threads on Mac forums, but I did not find the solution. I am afraid this is the tip of a hardware problem. Software updates have been done. Please help me Mac Genius!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard > Modifer Keys and reset the options to default. Keep us posted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Sounds like the sort of residue left over from a 3rd party app. What else have you been running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Perhaps not, see this in the explanation -
Works on any OS (Caps-Lock toggle does not work on the Mac. May

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
D
Reaction score
CAPS LOCK reversed follow up

This is a very strange problem indeed. I tried to go on System Preferences / Keyboard / restore default. Does not work.
I don't have anything running on my Mac. CAPS LOCK is on when I boot up. The issue comes back approximately every 4-5 times boots.
I saw in some older forums that this was a problem some Mac had 3-4 years ago, but does not seem to happen much these years.
Another lead to explore: it seems to happen when I use a 7 years old Microsoft optical mouse for a session and boot up the day after (mouse kept plugged or not). Does this make sense to you and what should I do?

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with caps lock

I´ve just got a macbook pro last week and i am having the exact same problem. Sometimes the caps lock key light up by itself, and if I press it then the behaviour is inverted. I don´t know what to do now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I´ve just got a macbook pro last week and i am having the exact same problem. Sometimes the caps lock key light up by itself, and if I press it then the behaviour is inverted. I don´t know what to do now.

Seeing as how you bought it last week, you bring it back to where you bought it and tell them to fix it or replace it. That's what you do.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.