Did Safari wreck my Word for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hello,

I recently switched from Firefox to Safari (in OS X 10.5 Leopard).

All worked well for a few days - but then Safari stopped opening attached text documents (using Microsoft word for Mac).
When it first stopped, The 'W' logo would bounce in the dock until an error message appeared (1712). Now the 'W' logo doesn't even appear.

I had installed Word (as part of Office) about a month ago and it has worked perfectly until now. Now I can't open Word at all, I get the spinning disc and eventually the error message: 1712 (time out)

All the other Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Powerpoint etc) still work fine - but Word will not even open.

Frustrating! And I can't reinstall Office as I don't have the disc (it was the 3rd licence of a friend's multi-licence pack)

Anyone got any ideas about this?

Am up to date with all updates on all software.

Thanks in advance. CB

Macbook black/2.4ghz core2duo/4GB/500GB@7200rpm/OS X 10.5.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My Guess is that M/S does not like to be second in the scene - if u were to install Office again it would all be "peachy" - Hows that for a techy term.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for reply Collin Bl. You could be right.

I found that Word was red-flagged in Activity Monitor. It had failed to open but had not closed and was using 99% of CPU activity!!

I force quitted it - and now I have Word back and fully functioning.

I decided to try it with Safari again (to make sure it wasn't a one-off freak occurence).
I tried to open a text attachment that had come in with an e-mail. Word logo (W) bounced in the dock - spinning disc icon - then error message.
In activity monitor: Word was red-flagged and using 99% of CPU again.

Another force-quit and everything back to normal.

There is definitely some conflict here between Safari and Microsoft Word.

My (simple/cowardly/efficient) solution is to go back to Firefox.
Problem solved.

Cheers, CB

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Hold on here...you don't say that you successfully opened the text attachment from your email using Firefox. The issue could be that the attachment is making Word hang.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right, Neo, I should have mentioned that.

The same attachment did open fine on Word when I pulled it in through Firefox.
Apologies for any confusion.

I'm an ex PC user who is still relatively new to Mac. There is a possibility that I have done something wrong in the setting up of Safari?
I should, therefore, make it clear that I am flagging this issue between Word and Safari based on my own personal experience, rather than announcing it as a general conflict.

As I said earlier, I have now returned to using Firefox as my browser and no longer have this problem. If I get time (later) I may investigate this issue further and see if I can sort it out and post up the results.

Cheers, CB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.