CCC VS. TM Cloning

Reaction score
I just bought 10.6 and I am prepping until it arrives, I currently have a external HD and been using CCC to backup all my stuff (It works great, not problems at all). Now, 10.6 has Time Machine, I have read that this is not a cloning tool ONLY a backup. Does this mean that if one day my internal HD dies and I want to boot from my ext. HD I cannot since TM only doe backups not clones? Should I just stick to CCC or use TM? I would like to boot up from my ext. HD, I'm just not sure if TM can do this

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
TM is just a backup utility. If you lost a drive, you'd still have to replace it, install the OS on it and restore the data from TM.

CCC, or better yet, SuperDuper both make full bootable backups that you can instantly recover from.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have done this twice now so know it works. I have my TM backup on my external. Put in a larger drive in my Intel Mini. All I had to do is boot from the 10.5 DVD and from one of the menus select restore from Time Machine Backup. It restored and booted like I never put in a new drive.

CC is better as it will boot all by itself without the 10.5 DVD to start the restore but TM works the way I stated above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another vote for SuperDuper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.