Can I change sound alerts for New Mail Etc?

Reaction score
I must be missing something. New Text message is easy but how do I change the alert for New Mail, Sent Mail, Calender Alerts and Lock Sounds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into Mail Preferences > General and look at the New Mail Sounds and click to see the range of sounds available. If not enough you can always import other sounds.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Harry,

Sorry to sound thick but I only got my Iphone today. Where is Mail Preferences? Can find settings then Mail,contacts,calenders but no mail preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
There isn't currently a way to change the default mail sound on the iphone. The above poster was referring to mail sounds on the Mac

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks boneheadz. On researching there is a way to do it but it involves jail breaking the phone.

I dont like the sound of that and it voids your warranty.

Cant understand why Apple would leave such a cool feature as uploading your own sounds out of perhaps the most forward thinking consumer gadget in a decade??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Jail breaking your iPhone is not that big of a deal. I had mine Jailbroken for about a month or so but reverted back. The instability of the systems, multiple crashes a day, got old after a while, especially when simply answering the phone.

That being said, the options for changing your email sounds were limited and disappointing at best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Jail breaking your iPhone is not that big of a deal. I had mine Jailbroken for about a month or so but reverted back. The instability of the systems, multiple crashes a day, got old after a while, especially when simply answering the phone.

Must have been something wrong with your jailbreak then as anyone I've talked to, haven't had any issues. I myself have had none.

OP
K
Reaction score
That being said, the options for changing your email sounds were limited and disappointing at best.

Baggs I dont understand. Why couldnt you take any tune you like and transfer this to whatever format the iPhone uses. Surely this would give you and infinite amount of choice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Baggs I dont understand. Why couldnt you take any tune you like and transfer this to whatever format the iPhone uses. Surely this would give you and infinite amount of choice?

I was able to find Apps for the jailbroken phone to change e-mail sounds, but changing the text sounds was almost impossible. I was surprised that even with the phone jailbroken the options were very limited.

You can't just "take any sound" and convert it because there appears to be no easy way to get it onto the phone to do what you want. Ringtones are easy, everything else isn't.

Kris said:
Must have been something wrong with your jailbreak then as anyone I've talked to, haven't had any issues. I myself have had none.

No, not really. I did it twice thinking that I must have done something wrong but the instability of the phone, even as just a phone, was pretty much a killer for me. I know people who have used the same procedures as I did and theirs works just fine, mine never did. In the end, the benefits of having it jailbroken were outweighed by the inconveniences.

Your results may vary..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.