• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New to macs and forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 Ghz. 4GB Intel Core Duo version10.5.6
I need to know how to transfer a home movie on a DVD to my mac? I just used a Sony DVD recorder to transfer old VHS's to DVDs, but when I put them in my mac, the DVDPlayer comes up and I can't find where the movie is, to put it on my hard drive to edit it in iDVD. Can you help me with this? I have last years iMovie & iDvd, not 09's. I used DVD-R and they worked to view the movies, but I couldn't see them on the hard drive to select them to import to iDVD. I then thought, I needed to use DVD-RW dvd's but that didn't work either. If I need a converter, what free one should I use? And, will it be intuitive? Just work when a DVD is put in the slot. I'd really appreciate any the help you can give me. Thanks in advance. Gayle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
2 Things:

1) This sounds like DVD ripping, and I'm not sure if we are supposed to talk about this on these forums

2) I don't know of a way to take DVD media into iDVD.

OP
Gayle37
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope this is where it is suppose to be posted, I was directed to post here by a moderator. :) Ok, If iDVD isn't what I will be using to edit my home movies then I can? use iMovie? But how do I get them into iMovie?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
These are Home Movies. They can rip them without an issue. It's commercial movies/store bought DVD's that are against the law to rip.

You don't want IDvd at least not at first. I take it you have iMovie?

Also what format are the movies in?

OP
Gayle37
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi dtravis7, Oh boy, I don't know what format they are in. I used the Sony dvd recorder, here is a link to the unit I used. I had a bunch of 8mm home movies and used my old camcorder to play them and rerecord onto dvd's, then I put the dvd into my mac and the dvd player opened immediately. I was able to watch them on it but, my issue is, I would like to load them onto my mac and be able to edit out all the hours of waste, put some music over parts and just make them more enjoyable for us to watch. I don't know how to get the dvd loaded on to my mac....do I need a certain software that will stop the DVD from playing and give me an option to save to HD? You know, like a flash drive does?

VRD-MC5 | DVDirect® DVD Recorder | Sony | Sony Style USA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I Posted this after your post above mine, so you can ignore this part. I left it in for future readers.
The first problem is to understand if your Mac is reading the disc. Does the Sony device require a 'completion' step? If not, and it is advertised as creating DVDs playable in DVD players, then the Mac should be able to read it. DVD Player should be able open it up, normally automatically. If it isn't automatic, use the File menu item "Open DVD Media..." which will allow you navigate to the video folder of the disc.

Does the DVD disc appear in the Finder when you insert it?

Try Handbrake or possibly MPEG Streamclip to convert the clips.

iDVD isn't an editor in the sense that you don't edit video with it. You edit how a DVD will look and act. You already have the video ready for it.

Video editing is done in a video editor such as iMovie or Final Cut. After editing is complete, you output to a file(s) for use on DVDs, the internet, or other output medium.

OP
Gayle37
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded Handbrake and tried to launch it and it says I don't have VLC. Should I download that too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Oh, yes, it now needs VLC installed so it can read the DVD content. This is a recent change in the history of Handbrake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.