G4 not powering on

J

jhazel

HELP - G4 not powering on

Hello fellow Mac fans. I have an issue with a G4 / 867 that I'd like to run by you all. It began happening after a recent storm so I have a pretty good idea of the cause but I'm trying to figure out how extensive it is...

What happens is, when I press the power button, the power light comes on like it is going to power up but as soon as I release the power button, it shuts down. Anyone experienced anything like this before? Possibly just a bad power supply or switch? Can the ps just be reset or ...?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

OP
G

goodolebwinches

FIRST OFF UNPLUG THE SYSTEM AND GET IT UP ON A TABLE WHERE YOU CAN LOOK INSIDE IT.

1. Touch some part of the METAL INSIDE CASE during the entire time you look inside as to not discharge any static electricity on the machine.
2. Check all cable connects to make sure that they are all connected. While at the same time looking for any electrical burn-up marks and/or smells.
3. If your computer has only ONE RAM MODULE look it over extensively. Remove it and reinstall it/or all your RAM.
4. After the check through....shut the case, plug it back up, and see if works now.

MAYBE IT IS JUST THE POWER SWITH

MAYBE IF YOU CAN JUST GET IT TO POWER UP LONG ENOUGH FOR TO INSERT THE INSTALL CD YOU CAN GET IT TO RUN OFF THAT.

IF IT WON'T WORK AT ALL, THEN:
a.) Pray that if indeed it did get SHOCKED, that only the RAM took the shock.
b.) If you have insurance, then it is DUAL G5 time.
c.) You're F**KED.

OP
P

pureenergy

I had the same problem recently, and fixing it took less than a minute. The tech opened my G4, took out the little battery (the one that looks like a shortened AA battery), then stuck it back in and pressed the little button near the battery for 10 seconds. That reset the motherboard and the computer started up fine. No data was lost and everything was just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.