blurry ibook and powerbook screens?

Reaction score
does anyone here agree that the ibook and powerbook screens aren't quite as sharp (text wise) as some pc laptops? I was in a store today and saw a toshiba and compaq laptop that had super razor sharp lcd's....

I hope the ibook G5 will be sharper when it hits market one day...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
stevescivic said:

Don't know why you are thinking about it yet....Maybe Mid-late 2006

OP
S
Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
Don't know why you are thinking about it yet....Maybe Mid-late 2006
boo! that's too long!

I was reading a few articles and it would be quite indicative that there will be no g5 notebook for quite some time.

When did apple revamp their entry level ibook g4?

Reaction score
stevescivic said:
does anyone here agree that the ibook and powerbook screens aren't quite as sharp (text wise) as some pc laptops?

Yup, Sony makes some amazing laptop screens so does Compaq/HP with their Xbrite models. I am sure Apple will change theirs eventually.

I would be happy if Apple released a dual core G4 Powerbook, don't really need a G5.

T

Thud

stevescivic said:
does anyone here agree that the ibook and powerbook screens aren't quite as sharp (text wise) as some pc laptops? I was in a store today and saw a toshiba and compaq laptop that had super razor sharp lcd's....

The screen resolution is generally higher on the upper-end PC laptops. The 17-inch pbook goes to 1440x900 resolution (widescreen format), while some PC displays will have a native resolution of 1600x1200 even if the screen itself is smaller. That is why they appear sharper.

Also, Windows XP has font anti-aliasing turned off by default, while OSX has it turned on, so the text would appear smoother under OSX. That could be part of it.

M

MJC 2005

PB Resolution

I originally purchased the PB 15" for my photo processing requirements (i.e. Photoshop Elements Ver. 3, Canon 20D camera), but was disappointed with the PB's resolution compared to my IBM Thinkpad's display.

Returned the PB to CompUSA, and then fell in love with the iMac 20" G5, which I purchased last week.

I have the iMac set for a screen resolution of 1680x1050, set to turn off smoothing for font sizes 12 and smaller.

Also upgraded my RAM to 2 GB (Crucial.com).

With these settings, my screen looks like a HDTV.

Would highly recommend the iMac 20" to anyone.

stevescivic said:

Reaction score
Thud said:
The screen resolution is generally higher on the upper-end PC laptops. The 17-inch pbook goes to 1440x900 resolution (widescreen format), while some PC displays will have a native resolution of 1600x1200 even if the screen itself is smaller.

Yeah, my 14in PC laptop screen goes to 1400x1050, more pixels than even a 17in PB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
mynameis said:
Yeah, my 14in PC laptop screen goes to 1400x1050, more pixels than even a 17in PB.

Wow! That's 125 PPI! I wish my eyes were as good as yours.

In case you're wondering:
12" iBook/PowerBook - 106 PPI default (highest of any current model)
14" iBook - 91 PPI default (lowest of any current model)
15" PowerBook - 101 PPI
17" PowerBook - 100 PPI (Same as 17" iMac)
20" Cinema - 99 PPI (Same as 20" iMac)
23" Cinema - 98 PPI

Apple shoots for ~100 PPI on all its displays.
Apple Computer said:
After years of experience, Apple engineers have discovered the ideal resolution to display both sharp text and graphics — a pixel density of about 100 pixels per inch (ppi).

T

Thud

100PPI is fine as long as fonts are anti-aliased.

In anything that's real-time 3D, 100PPI is definitely going to look jaggy unless the graphics chip is doing at least 4-sample full-scene antialiasing.

It's not that Apple has determined that 100PPI is the ideal resolution for all applications... only that it's the most cost-effective.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.