Canon T1i vs. 40D

Reaction score
I'm mulling over the purchase of one of these cameras. It looks like a new T1i and a used 40D are in the same ballpark as far as price goes. Which would be the better buy? Discuss... :D

Reaction score
what are you going to be using it for. my understading is that the canon 40d (my dream camera) is more a professonal camera with 10.1 mp and 6.5 frames/second. the T1i (again in my opinion) is more a hobby shooter/ begginer who does not what all the technical aspects of a 40d. it shoots video right?

Reaction score
when you say ball park what is the number? My experience is the autofocus on a canon is not as reliable as Nikon and i own both..just really depends on what you are using it for.......just my .02

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd do what was suggested to me only a couple of months ago.

Go into a store and put your hands on both of them.
I really wanted one brand when I walked in.
After putting my hands on them, the fit and ergonomics of the other brand just blew that one away for me.

It could be the opposite for you. But, that is a lot of money without ever having touched something that will be held in your hands whenever you use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
when you say ball park what is the number? My experience is the autofocus on a canon is not as reliable as Nikon and i own both..just really depends on what you are using it for.......just my .02

It depends on the cameras and the lenses. The XXD series had amazing AF. Fast and accurate. There weren't as many AF points as in some of the mid/higher end Nikons but they still did a great job. If they didn't, amateur sports photographers would definitely skip Canon for Nikon.

The 40D can be found for about $600 used. I prefer to recommend that over the entry level cameras any day of the week.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. After doing some shopping around, I ended up with a 50D. It was in a different league in terms of build quality/overall feel in comparison to the Rebel line. I'm very happy with it so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.