Are Podcasts Stored on Apple Servers?

Reaction score
I am wondering if podcasts are stored on Apple servers or if they are pulled from the servers of the company producing the podcast. For example, my work blocks access to IGN.com on our network, and I am wondering if failed downloads of podcasts over wifi through itunes on ipod could be due to that.

Am I connecting to IGN's servers to download their podcasts from iTunes, or does Apple host them itself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As I understand it, podcasters send an RSS feed file to the iTunes store which has the instructions of where to actually find the file. That file is NOT on the
Apple servers. When your iTunes application reads that file, it goes to another server to download the actual content.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The podcasts are stored on the providers sites. The iTunes store just links to them, nothing more.

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.