Brand new Macbook, no wireless internet

Reaction score
I'm new here and was hoping someone could help me out. I've done everything I can, and I would hate to have to return my Macbook.

Background: I already have an older generation Macbook (10.4.11) that I purchased about 2 years ago. I also have an IBM. Both work perfectly fine- no issues at all with wireless internet. We have Comcast, btw. Router is Netgear.

My fiance and I bought a new Macbook 2 days ago, and we have not been able to get the wireless internet to work. It can find our network, but I get the same error message every time it tries to connect ("An error occurred while trying to join the ___ network. Please try again."). I have spent hours on the phone with Apple support and tried every possible thing, but they can't figure out what's wrong. I've updated all the software, tried different kinds of resets, etc. I have also been on the phone with Netgear support and double checked our password and settings (WPA Personal).

The thing is that the only way the wireless internet works is if you go through Diagnostics. However, the second the Macbook goes to sleep, or if you restart it, it cannot connect to the internet anymore... and you have to do Diagnostics again.

Can anyone help? Apple says that they have done everything they can from their side. Also, I know it is not the Airport card itself, because this same thing also happened to the Macbook we originally purchased this week. We had to return that one though because in addition to this wireless internet problem, the DVD player was messed up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It sounds like you have contacted & communicated extensively with Apple, and spent a good deal of time trying to troubleshoot the problem yourself. I think that it's probably time to visit your local Apple Store (hopefully not too far away)...and have the "experts/genius's" look at it.

Take advantage of that 12 month warranty!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
It sounds like you have contacted & communicated extensively with Apple, and spent a good deal of time trying to troubleshoot the problem yourself. I think that it's probably time to visit your local Apple Store (hopefully not too far away)...and have the "experts/genius's" look at it.

Take advantage of that 12 month warranty!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Thanks, Nick. I think we will be going to the Apple store later today.

I was just hoping that perhaps someone else has had this problem before or might know how to fix it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, Nick. I think we will be going to the Apple store later today.

I was just hoping that perhaps someone else has had this problem before or might know how to fix it.

If Apple is able to get this fixed...please post with how they did it.

Who knows...maybe it's just a software issue...or they may have to install a new Airport card, a logic board, or maybe give you a new computer depending on the seriousness of the problem.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Any updates on what had to be done? I'm coming up with the same error with a 2 month old mac book pro. It didn't do it before, and now its constant. Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.