missing pixel

Reaction score
After powering up my iMac for the first time I noticed -what I thought to be at the time- a dead/stuck pixel.

Just now I turned the display off (ctrl + shift + eject) and to my surprise I can STILL see the "dead" pixel. That's not possible right? I mean, if it's a dead/stuck pixel then when turned off it should still be the same color as every other pixel...

It doesn't bother me too much and if I put my dock over to the left I can't see it at all... but still I'd like to know what your thoughts are.

Is it possible for a dead/stuck pixel to be darker than every other pixel even when switched OFF? I'll try looking for it once the computer has been off for 12 hours or something and see if I can find it... maybe that defective pixel stores some energy for a while even when turned off or something.

Edit - Seems to be some dust behind the display too... is that to be expected? I only received the iMac yesterday. The 'Missing' pixel however I'm quite sure isn't dust...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would take it on in to the Apple store in London and have them look at it. A dead or stuck pixel (one) is usually not a reason for exchange, however, dust or dirt behind the glass is a different matter. And since you're also missing a Snow Leopard disk, they might just exchange the machine for a new one. Be sure to call ahead and make an appointment first.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Had a long and hard think about what I should do...

Sure, I could get a refund since it's within 14 days and order another system (or, they may agree to replace it)... then again I might end up with an even worse display... I doubt they will allow me to go through 10 displays until I get one which has no stuck/dead pixels... I think stuck/pixels are quite common and have heard of people going through 4+ models and still haven't had a 'perfect' display.

And like I said, if I put my dock up over to the left you can't see the stuck/dead pixel at all so I guess I'm fortunate it's not in the middle of the display.

Probably better to just live with it, right? It is very small after all...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I think stuck/pixels are quite common and have heard of people going through 4+ models and still haven't had a 'perfect' display.

Probably better to just live with it, right? It is very small after all...
My sentiments exactly.

Reaction score
If you paid a zillion pounds for it.. I would take it back and make them open one up in the store and plug it in. Apple stands behind the products they sell. I have friends here in the states that took stuff back with problems and walked out with a newer Mac.

OP
I
Reaction score
Nearest Apple Store is about 15 miles away.

Even if they did allow you to check the unit in store (and they aren't obliged to)... doesn't mean a stuck pixel wont develop in two weeks time right in the middle of your screen.

Maybe I'll mention the dead pixel when I ring up on Monday to ask where my Snow Leopard disc is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.