iBook's ideal temperature

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Scary thing happend tonight... while playing Everquest for Mac (first time) for less than 30min my iBook turned off. At first i thought it was the battery but after pluggin the power adapter i realize it was really, really hot. The machine didn't turn on for a while so i waited until the temperature went down and after about 30min it finally turned on. So here are the questions...
- How likely is the CPU to burn out because of overheating?
- Does the iBook just turn off if it is too hot?
- What do you think about this product or something like this

Thanks

I

iDVFH.

I always thought iBook's weren't made for games, get iPulse..it gives you good information on your temperature which can range very much..after using my iBook for about a good 2 hours my temperature is about 120 F..but if I bring it outside (like this winter) it was about 85 F and it was laughing at the tasks..the fans weren't even on (I think)

E

Echo_

doesnt matter if its not made for games if the cpu /vcard cant work for 30 min thats a problem.

im guessing its a heat issue. id talk to an apple person if i were yuou

OP
mraya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I have used my iBook for longer periods of time allways haing the core temperature lower than 120 F, but running regular apps like Safari, Photoshop Elements, iPhoto or Dreamweaver. This isn't also the first time i play a "heavy" game with it, i have played UT2003 for less than an hour several times (it speeds up the fan). This is the first time something like this happens so i guess im just a little nervous. But istill have to ask: What is the limit for the temperature? is there a security system for overheating? does anyone uses the products i linked? are they any good?

Reaction score
out of all the parts seems like the harddrive has the most heat, i would probably try to keep that the cooles since it is the weakest, other parts such as the cpu and vcard are made to take heat,
i use a notebook fan cooler on the bottom
the walls of the ibook are think and they dont vent well at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I had a hot ibook while playing c&c. I ended ging to best buy and got a small flat plastic thing with fans in it. My ibook sits on top of it and the fans keep it cooler. it even doubles as a usb hub, giving me an extra 4 usb hubs.

I

iDVFH.

I think they make a cooler like something to the look of the iCurve that has a few USB ports..but could be wrong..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
why is every one saying "You cant play games on book"...ive got a 14 book
with one gig and i can play pretty much anything besides doom and battlefield 1942 expansion pack works fine but every things got to be set at medium....I can play MoH with close to every thing set to high and higher....GOD!!! it just makes me soooo mad when pepole say"you cant play games on a ibook"...there i said it

J

Jefe3223

I think I agree with you, iloc. I can play most games fine (not doom 3, but i hear it's pretty disappointing.

Reaction score
i think our ibooks can actually handle almost any game out there, the only problem is the heating, our graphics card can handle it.
as for using heat monitors, its bad for it since you constantly monitor it, it makes it hotter and if u use the harddrive temp reader, could damamge hard drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.