New iMac... no Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Received my 20" iMac yesterday... this is my first Mac (I've used Windows for 9+ years) and I'm quite impressed so far... minus the dead/stuck pixel, which to be fair is hardly noticeable.

Now, I'm sure (or, I was sure) that all new Macs ship with Snow Leopard pre-installed, please correct me if I am wrong. If I click the Apple logo, then 'About This Mac' the version shown is 10.5.6 - am I right in saying that the version isn't Snow Leopard?

I haven't installed any of the discs provided (OS, or applications). I assumed that the latest version would have been pre-installed. The OS disc provided is also version 10.5.6... which can't be right.

I purchased the iMac online from the Apple Store; and it did (and still does) read 'Includes Snow Leopard' when you are browsing through the different models... however I just noticed that if you scroll down under 'Included Software' it only lists Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard...

I've probably just misunderstood or something... I'd appreciate if someone could explain.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It isn't preinstalled.
You probably have a "drop-in" upgrade disc for OS X 10.6 that was provided to you.

It should be with your other discs.

OP
I
Reaction score
Appreciate the quick response.

So you think that I should not only have the 10.5.6 disc, but one for 10.6 also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
First of all congratulations on your new iMac. I'm sure you'll enjoy using it.
I agree with D3v1L80Y the first thing to do is to check the disks that came with your machine and see if you have the SL disk or not. If you don't then you must be in the same situation as I was.

I ordered my MBP last Tuesday and with the HDD upgrade it was shipped (surprisingly early) on 27th and that's a day before official release of SL. although it is common practice for Apple to include the disk with these kinds of orders, my MBP was delivered yesterday with Leopard preinstalled and NO SL disk.

I called the sales reps today and explained exactly what I wrote above, he obviously told me that I'm eligible for the £7.95 upgrade but I told him that I expected a free disk or even pre installed OS. He said that he's not authorized to give me the free disk but he will discuss it with his supervisor and get back to me.

I got a call from him in 20 mins and he said that a free SL retail disk is on it's way to my delivery address.

I knew that he had a point in saying I ordered my machine before the official release date of SL, and even if he had called me back and said I should pay the £7.95 I was happy to do so, but I thought it's worth a try.

in anycase, check your order date to make sure you can argue the same, and also keep in mind that you are going to talk to another rep and the outcome could be different.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Appreciate the quick response.

So you think that I should not only have the 10.5.6 disc, but one for 10.6 also?

You should most likely get Snow Leopard for free considering you just bought a new Mac...but worst case scenario, you will have to pay $9.95.

Apple - Mac OS X - Update your new Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard

How about trying this. I wouldn't be surprised if:

- you went to your local Apple Store (with your receipt for your new Mac)
- tell them you just got a new Mac & didn't get Snow Leopard
- and Ask them "What should I do?"
- They will either say, "Contact Apple via an 800 #"...or they may just give you a copy of Snow Leopard.

Can't hurt to try.

Good Luck,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't supplied with the Snow Leopard disc. I made my order on Tuesday 1st September. There is absolutely no way they can charge me for Snow Leopard as it should have been included.

OP
I
Reaction score
By the way... how many of you have dead/stuck pixels? (sorry for going off topic). It's probably not worth kicking up a fuss about right?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here may be an even better photo of what the Snow Leopard disk may look like that comes with a newly purchased computer (minus the model specific Mac Mini reference):

snow_leoparddisc__.jpg

The photo came from this article:

Lucky Mac mini buyer got Snow Leopard disc in the box? (photo) // Current

Enjoy,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't supplied with the Snow Leopard disc. I made my order on Tuesday 1st September. There is absolutely no way they can charge me for Snow Leopard as it should have been included.

Well like I mentioned in this thread earlier...if you REALLY want that Snow Leopard disk in a hurry...you could try going to your local Apple Store (with receipt)...and see if you can get them to give you a copy for free.

If you're not in a big hurry...then definitely give them a call...I'm sure they will correct things promptly.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks pigoo3.

The only OS disc I have is for 10.5.6.

Unless the disc flew out somehow while I was taking the iMac out of the box... which is unlikely... and I've looked around incase it did fall out but no luck. I think it must have been an error on their side?

I'll give them a call. I just wanted to confirm that I should have in fact been supplied with a Snow Leopard disc so as not to look a fool.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks pigoo3.

The only OS disc I have is for 10.5.6.

Unless the disc flew out somehow while I was taking the iMac out of the box... which is unlikely... and I've looked around incase it did fall out but no luck. I think it must have been an error on their side?

I'll give them a call. I just wanted to confirm that I should have in fact been supplied with a Snow Leopard disc so as not to look a fool.

It must be realized that it is only 7 days since Snow Leopard was released...and it was only 4 days after 10.6 was released that this computer in question was ordered.

There is definitely many many computers in the distribution "pipeline" of existing inventory that didn't have 10.6 disks in them.

This sort of thing certainly happens with each significant OS release. The further we get from the 10.6 release date...the more likely the boxes that new computers arrive in will have 10.6 disks.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Sure, I can understand that, Nick :)

I'd have thought that they would have opened up the box, included a Snow Leopard disc, and resealed it, though. After all, it does clearly state on their website 'Includes Snow Leopard'.

It's fine, just a mistake I suppose.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd have thought that they would have opened up the box, included a Snow Leopard disc, and resealed it, though. After all, it does clearly state on their website 'Includes Snow Leopard'.

Yes...that's a very good thought...and I thought of that as well.

In the "transition" period after 10.6 is released & before all new shipping Mac's automatically come with 10.6....I could see someone opening every box that a new Mac is shipped in...inserting the new 10.6 DVD...then resealing the box before the computer is shipped.

But like any "system" that involves humans...maybe human error occurred. That's why I figured that if you went to the Apple Store, and mentioned this to them...that they may be more than willing to just hand you a 10.6 disk.

Again good luck,

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Going to give them a ring on Monday :) I'll come back here and give an update for anyone interested, or has the same thing happen to them.

OP
I
Reaction score
They are shipping out Snow Leopard to me, should have it in a few days.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are shipping out Snow Leopard to me, should have it in a few days.

Thanks for the update...enjoy Snow Leopard!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
Cool! I assume it was free of charge ;) mine got delivered today and I'm installing it on MBP before upgrading my main machine.

Enjoy!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Cool! I assume it was free of charge ;) mine got delivered today and I'm installing it on MBP before upgrading my main machine.

Enjoy!

Please don't use the upgrade disk they provided you for one machine on a second machine. You can get a legitimate 2nd copy cheaper than any other OS ever released (excepting Linux).

We really don't want to see Apple have to implement MS's draconian anti-piracy practices. And if Apple can't get people to pay $25-$30 for an OS, that's exactly where they and we are headed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please don't use the upgrade disk they provided you for one machine on a second machine. You can get a legitimate 2nd copy cheaper than any other OS ever released (excepting Linux).

We really don't want to see Apple have to implement MS's draconian anti-piracy practices. And if Apple can't get people to pay $25-$30 for an OS, that's exactly where they and we are headed.

Oh my sorry my bad, forgot to mention we have ordered a Family pack for the rest of the Macs in the house, (3 other MacBooks and my iMac) and by the time it gets delivered (most probably tomorrow) I'm testing the O.S on my MBP.

Just to let u know, installation took just over 50 mins including restarts and Welcome demo animation and it works like a charm! the first thing you'll notice is the change in default Gamma settings of the screen! the colours really come to life on the glass LEDs.

Enjoy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.