Quicksilver Start Up Issue

Reaction score
Hello. I'm trying to install the start up disks on a Quicksilver Power Mac G4. When it gets to 'Select Drive To Install' the menu is blank; there are no drive options to choose.

Could someone tell me me a) what is wrong? and b) how to manually eject disks?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

1. Is it really OS 10.0 as that was a beta trial OS?

2. Are you using retail install discs or system restore discs? Discs from another machine will not install as they are made for the particular model they were released with.

3. Does the machine need a firmware upgrade to install OS X for the first time?

4. Manually eject discs by rebooting and when you hear the chimes hold down the mouse button.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello, Harry. Thanks for the welcome!

The disks are actually 10.2.1 (sorry for the mislead) and they are retail. Not sure about the firmware.

This belonged to my friend's father-in-law. He couldn't find the start up disks when he gave it to me but it worked when I received it. It still had his account/OS set up so I erased the hard drive manually. Now I have the disks and the Destination Menu is blank.

Maybe I messed something up by not using the original disks to delete and reboot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If u boot off the install disc - hold down C key - and then go to disk utilities in drop down menus can u see the disk in Disk Utilities?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And after wiping you may have to format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journalled). After formatting let us know if you can get to Destination Menu?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
And after wiping you may have to format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journalled). After formatting let us know if you can get to Destination Menu?

Unless the Hard Drive died suddenly, I am very sure that is the issue. Do what Harry and Colin suggested and you should see the HDD in the Disk Utility.

Quicksilvers do not need any Firmware updates for OSX that I am aware of at least.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.