7100 / 66 Clone Hard Drive

Reaction score
I am looking for insight regarding the best method to clone an existing hard drive. A proprietary software app is installed. Start up and Install disks no longer available. Hoping to provide bootable backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What system software are you using?

Reaction score
Are we talking a Power Mac 7100? Power PC 601 at 66 Mhz. There formated in Mac OS standard. May be easier to network to a new mac and move files. The 7100 uses Appletalk. Problem it uses NuBus cards not PCI sorry no USB will work. If you can find a external SCSI hard drive and cable you can copy the drive to it or an Iomega zip drive, SCSI version.....saw 2 of them at the thrift store for $2.oo.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the questions and input. The System is 7.5 and the device is a Power Mac 7100 66MHZ model.

If I copy drive to drive to clone will all the required settings for boot and the installed applications be transferred?

Saw "superduper" recommended for a far newer model. Would that work on a system 7.5 device?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner both will only work with a HFS + file system. Using the external hard drive method proposed by Mac SK is probably going to be your best bet.

Regards.

Reaction score
If you copy everything to an external SCSI drive its an exact copy,but sometimes the system folder is not blessed. Just load a system on the drive first then move your files. Then you could boot from the external. apple.shift.option.del.

Reaction score
Have you looked inside to see if theres another SCSI connection on the ribbon,you can add a second internal hard drive. The jumpers are on the bottom of SCSI drivers.

OP
R
Reaction score
Looking at a alternative. Does a source exist that could provide the clone service for a fee?

Reaction score
Looking at a alternative. Does a source exist that could provide the clone service for a fee?

It would be far cheaper to locate a used SCSI hard drive and install in the machine. Your still useing a file system no one knows anything about theses days. In one way thats a plus as know one can steal your data and open it up on a new machine. Do a ebay search for a SCSI hard drive,1 gig or so. Look for an external SCSI drive and cable. I have an 18 gig SCSI drive as storge in my 8600.

Reaction score
It would be far cheaper to locate a used SCSI hard drive and install in the machine. Your still useing a file system no one knows anything about theses days. In one way thats a plus as know one can steal your data and open it up on a new machine. Do a ebay search for a SCSI hard drive,1 gig or so. Look for an external SCSI drive and cable. I have an 18 gig SCSI drive as storge in my 8600.

Your looking for something like this...It just happens to be an Apple external SCSI hard drive and cable. Many are in just plain boxes.

External.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.