WD MyBook issues with Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM
Just thought I would share this.
I have recently aquired both a MyBook Studio II and a MyBook World II drive on Tues and after both installing both drives and using the WD Anywhere Backup utility have found that they both dont work using the Anywhere Backup running Snow Leopard. I rolled the OS back to Leopard and both work fine using the WD Anywhere Backup.
Have called WD Tech Support and they have heard about this, this morning, and apparently a firmware update will be used in the future once they figure out whats causing the problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not a lover of third party backup programs for OS X. I've used several from various hard driver makers and IMO none of them are as good as Time Machine which is built in to Leopard and SL.

And there are also cloning programs such as "SuperDuper" and "Carbon Copy Cloner" which are even better.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm not a lover of third party backup programs for OS X. I've used several from various hard driver makers and IMO none of them are as good as Time Machine which is built in to Leopard and SL.

And there are also cloning programs such as "SuperDuper" and "Carbon Copy Cloner" which are even better.

Regards.

AMEN!
I have the WD Mybook and it works flawlessly with T.M.
Also used it with SuperDuper! and works just as well doing a bootable backup.

Reaction score
NAS HDD's and Time Machine

Yeah I would rather use Time Machine as well, but Time Machine has a limitation... it doesn't work with Network Attached Storage (NAS) external drives (like the MyBook World Edition). You have to have the HDD actually attached to the computer using USB or Firewire, etc.

I was apprehensive about this third party backup solution but actually really love it. I hope they can get it fixed soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.