need help with an automator workflow to convert AAC files to MP3

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to work out a way to automatically convert voice memos which I dictate on my iPhone to MP3 files when they are added to my iTunes library during a sync. Then I need the converted files to be in a specific folder so that they will trigger an auto-transcription program that I have running.

From my limited knowledge of automating processes on my Mac it would seem that I need to design a workflow or a folder action in Automator. Probably a folder action would be best, as I could attach it to the 'Voice Memos' folder in my iTunes Music Folder. The converted MP3 files would be saved in the same folder and would then be recognised by the transcription program. I have tried to design a workflow/folder action using Doug's iTunes automator actions as follows, but it is not working as I would like. The workflow is as follows:

Folder Action/Get Folder Contents/Choose encoder (MP3)/Convert Tracks/Choose encoder (apple lossless)/Restore Encoder.

The folder action is triggered when I add AAC files to the folder I have attached the action to, but then I get an error message stating that 'no tracks have been sent to this action'.

i would be grateful for any help to get this working using the automator method or another method

thanks

nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You may be experiencing a glitch in automator with SL.
Had one that worked fine in Leopard but not in SL with a similar error message...basically that a prior action had not completed.

Ran into it related to just copying text from a text document.
Would come back saying there was no text document open.
However, it had opened the doc and it was sitting on the desktop.
Seemed, the copy action was taking place before the previous action to open the document had completed.
If I ran the action again, it completed, since now the doc was already open.

Was able to find a work around for mine that won't work for yours and am not really any good at automator. But, there is a glitch with automator.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.