problems installing stuff on my ibook

A

andrewjc

im a NEW mac user ( new as in got my first mac 2 days ago ) and I don't get alot of stuff, I'm trying to install the software I got with my college text book for anatomy & phisiology, it says it requires mac OS 8.1 and 9.x, I don't get that? does it require 2 different opperating systems? when I try installing it it tells me I don't have 8.1, please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that means those are classic apps, not compatible with os x. you should be able to install
classic support from the software restore disc, depending how new your mac is as many new macs won't support classic installation. classic is basically like an emulator window for os 9 that runs on top of os x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it didn't have classic installed when you got it? have you checked the software restore disc that comes with your ibook? if it didn't come installed, and the installer isn't on the restore disc, your ibook is one of the newer models whose hardware and os with the ibook won't support classic. there are a few things you could try, but I suggest checking the apple website first to see if your ibook is compatible with classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hang on - isn't that wrong?

I think you're mixing classic support and native OS9 support macman:

All new Mac's won't let you install OS9 as a second full operating system.
Some older models did support OS9 natively, but that has been discontinued.

But as far as I know ALL macs can run "Classic", which is an application that pretends to be OS9 and so lets you run older applications. Not all applications will run under "Classic" but most should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, I think you might be right AM, though I remember reading somewhere that newer macs will soon not even support running classic at all. I'm not sure on how new his ibook is, but it should be able to run it. if classic isn't already installed, he should be able to use the software restore disc that came with the ibook to install it and run classic apps.

OP
A

andrewjc

I have another problem, the program for my math class is only for windows :[ is there any way to make it work with osx?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
virtual pc will allow you to run windows apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i usually just hit up the computer labs on campus for homework applications....the school has every program needed for every class on every computer

you could get virtual pc if you really want to run these programs on your mac

it is also less distracting being on a PC because you just want to get your stuff done and get back to your mac :)

-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.