Password protecting websites?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPhone, iPod
Hey all!

I'm in need of advice/ recommendations...... I am currently trying to create a website which is to have a Clients section for clients to log in and preview work before it is published or as it progresses.

I want to create password protected areas of the site with different user names for different clients so they can be directed to different areas of the site (ie: their own client space).

I have seen that there are various pieces of software out there that manage this all for you - but so far they all appear to be PC/ Windows compatible only (eg "HTML Password Wizard" by AllyNova).

Does anyone know of any Mac software out there that does this job - I would be so delighted if anyone can help.

Thanks so much in advance.

All the best
Bexxy!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In lieu of others suggesting a package for Mac, if you're using Apache as the webserver, you could always go the .htaccess/.htpasswd route for the directory where your client's website will be hosted (temporarily) and present the login box there.

Ain't gonna be pretty, but it's going to work. You can always script up the procedure of creating these files to save you the time of creating the files manually..

Regards

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPhone, iPod
Yeah - I was thinking it was going to have to be like that as I haven't been able to find a single one out there - which is surprising! I was just hoping I could be lazy!

What did you mean when you said "temporarily" in your post - is it not a particularly good long term solution? I thought all that these software packages were doing was creating these .htaccess files automatically, saving you the bother? Or am I wrong?

Thanks again.

All the best
Bexxy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.