Holy crap everything is gone from my hard-disk...except not really!

Reaction score
Hello, I started up my computer this morning only to have a nice blue clean desktop, exactly what I had when I first bought my computer. Last night I had fishes for a desktop and a clutter of folders. ****. My itunes are gone, my photos are gone, everything seems to be GONE. Although, when I started up, the last folder i was using was still there, so not everything was gone, and I see signs of when certain applications were installed with dates from 2007, etc. I finally realized all hope is not gone, and it.is.here.somewhere. I also found it strange that the user name I had changed last night was changed back to the original... If I go to my Users folder in the hard-disk, I have 3 folders, one with the current user (which is a clean spanking new hard-disk), my name, and a shared folder. What I would like is to somehow revert this ''my name folder'' to the actual user as it had been before. Now it is just a folder that isn't very functional. I am surprised that through the simple changing of the name on the little house icon, I have made a completely new user account or something. I just didn't want my dads name on there anymore, and instead wanted my name... If anyone has any idea how to change this, it would be greatly appreciated. I am also very sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched the forum, but was unable to find anything that I thought was pertinent (I am a bit of a computer retard, so it is possible it was talked about and I didnt exactly understand that it was pertinent to my case). Thanks in advance.

Katie

OP
K
Reaction score
How do you go to /Users in Finder? The only way I can go to the Users folder is through the Mac hard-disk icon on the desktop, and then the rest of the instructions don't make any sense. :/

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How do you go to /Users in Finder? The only way I can go to the Users folder is through the Mac hard-disk icon on the desktop, and then the rest of the instructions don't make any sense. :/

Right. When you double-click the Macintosh HD icon, you are invoking the Finder. So, you've done exactly as you're supposed to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.