Can you fresh install SL with $29 version?

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm wondering if you can clean-install 10.6 onto a mac computer rather than upgrading from 10.5(or even from 10.4 ones), which is suggested by Apple.

I bought my Snow leopard on the day it came out from a local Apple store and put the CD into my computer, and after a while I found out that my system was upgraded. (All the previous applications and documents, everything was there after the installation.)

Well I'm not having any problems so far with SL, but I think there might be an occasion that I want a fresh 10.6 on my system.

Do you guys believe that this $29 Snow leopard will do that for me?
(it says on the box 'MAC OS X 10.6 RETAIL.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, it will do a clean install, although it shouldn't be necessary.

T

todd51

Yes, although I did not see the option for a "Clean" install I was able to do it by booting from the disc, going through Disk Utility to erase the drive, then doing the install. Just wanted to make sure you knew that there was no option for a "clean" install, you have to format the drive first.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you don't already have a licence for OS X Leopard, you will be violating the EULA if you install the upgrade version. To quote the EULA, "If you have purchased an Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer as long as that computer has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it." (Section 2C).

Installing Snow Leopard using the upgrade if you don't already have Leopard is not a suggestion as you put it. It is written into the EULA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Can you do a forum search? Or a google search? :p For real this question has been asked and answered like 50 times since Friday. But as todd said, that's how you do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, and the answers (not just on this forum) are all over the place. Other sources say that upgrading from Tiger does not violate the EULA. Some are saying that Apple acknowledges this. This obviously contradicts the EULA passage quoted above. Seems like Apple should issue an unambiguous clarification.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah, and the answers (not just on this forum) are all over the place. Other sources say that upgrading from Tiger does not violate the EULA. Some are saying that Apple acknowledges this. This obviously contradicts the EULA passage quoted above. Seems like Apple should issue an unambiguous clarification.

They did.

That is a direct quote from the EULA (notice the link Vansmith kindly provided).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.