Installing Windows via Bootcamp: Dell Re-installation disk?

Reaction score
I want to install Windows Vista for Bootcamp using the reinstallation DVD that came with my Dell PC, but it says "Use this DVD only to install the operating system on a Dell PC." Will it work with Bootcamp?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I want to install Windows Vista for Bootcamp using the reinstallation DVD that came with my Dell PC, but it says "Use this DVD only to install the operating system on a Dell PC." Will it work with Bootcamp?

Now come on...right in your post you said the disk has printed on it..."Use this DVD only to install the operating system on a Dell PC."

Didn't you already answer your own question???

You're going to have to purchase a retail version of Windows for "Bootcamp".

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Aside from the printing telling you that you shouldn't, many, if not most (including dell) branded OEM DVDs (and CDs) are bios locked, which means they'll work to install on a dell, but not on just any old system.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Aside from the printing telling you that you shouldn't, many, if not most (including dell) branded OEM DVDs (and CDs) are bios locked, which means they'll work to install on a dell, but not on just any old system.

Somewhat similar to the model specific grey/silver OS disks that Mac owners get with a new machine.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
By the way, the Boot Camp documentation that you are prompted to print out during the process explains the specific requirements for the Windows version you use.

If you didn't catch it, or merely disregarded the documentation, I suggest you go back and print it out and take a moment to study it. Not only will it give you a good idea of what to expect, but will also help you to avoid a lot of the common pitfalls.

Good luck.

Reaction score
You can also purchase a "System Builder's OEM" version of Windows, which is cheaper than a full retail version, and that will also work.

Cheers

Reaction score
Why is this such a touchy issue?

If you buy a Windows XP Dell install CD w/COA from eBay, and it has never, and will never be used on any machine unless YOU buy it.

How is this piracy?:Confused:

Windows is not worth the full price they are asking anyway. If it was, we would not be using Boot Camp in the first place. :Cool:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why is this such a touchy issue?

If you buy a Windows XP Dell install CD w/COA from eBay, and it has never, and will never be used on any machine unless YOU buy it.

How is this piracy?:Confused:

Windows is not worth the full price they are asking anyway. If it was, we would not be using Boot Camp in the first place. :Cool:

It's not a touchy issue. Boot Camp has specific requirements, one of them is that you use a retail disc or a non-branded OEM disc.

Some PC vendor-supplied OEM discs are tailored for the hardware they're sold with. Additionally, since most people who come here with this kind of question are using the disc from an existing PC, there are potential licensing issues as well.

So, the tried and true best advice is simply to follow Boot Camp's documented requirements.

Reaction score
It's not a touchy issue. Boot Camp has specific requirements, one of them is that you use a retail disc or a non-branded OEM disc.

Some PC vendor-supplied OEM discs are tailored for the hardware they're sold with. Additionally, since most people who come here with this kind of question are using the disc from an existing PC, there are potential licensing issues as well.

So, the tried and true best advice is simply to follow Boot Camp's documented requirements.

I say it is a "touchy issue" because I have seen threads closed on this very topic. I think that drawing an immediate conclusion that piracy is involved whenever this question is asked, is simply uncalled for.

I would like to be able to discuss the topic so we could find the cheapest way to get XP onto our machines using Boot Camp. I think that paying $100+ for an operating system that is over 10 years old, is outrageous. Most Mac users will refuse to pay this.

I doubt that I am alone in my opinion on this. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I say it is a "touchy issue" because I have seen threads closed on this very topic. I think that drawing an immediate conclusion that piracy is involved whenever this question is asked, is simply uncalled for.

I would like to be able to discuss the topic so we could find the cheapest way to get XP onto our machines using Boot Camp. I think that paying $100+ for an operating system that is over 10 years old, is outrageous. Most Mac users will refuse to pay this.

I doubt that I am alone in my opinion on this. ;)

In the past, we have closed these topics because we were of the opinion that any violation of an End User License Agreement (EULA) was illegal. In recent months, we have decided not to enforce EULAs as they are not always black and white issues in the eyes of the law.

With that said, there are many "gotchas" when using vendor-supplied OEM discs. The main one being product activation with those that have been used elsewhere. in addition, as I said before, many are tailored to the machine they were sold with. So, when someone asks the question, it's hard to say that a vendor-branded OEM disc will work as there are many circumstances under which it would not.

Reaction score
Indeed, for the most part, it appears that such reinstallation disks DO NOT WORK under Boot Camp, specifically that has been the reported experience with Dell disks. Similarly, many volume-licensed disks (e.g., disks that you get at your college or workplace) don't work either. Some VL discs do, some don't.

But if you are trying to get XP on your machine as cheaply as possible, I would not spend money on a Dell-branded reinstallation disk. I would instead purchase a System Builder OEM disk.

Boot Camp is persnickety on what works and doesn't and from the Forum's perspective, we recommend you purchase what Apple indicates will work. Any other purchases are really at your risk, EULA considerations aside.

Cheers

Reaction score
Indeed, for the most part, it appears that such reinstallation disks DO NOT WORK under Boot Camp, specifically that has been the reported experience with Dell disks. Similarly, many volume-licensed disks (e.g., disks that you get at your college or workplace) don't work either. Some VL discs do, some don't.

But if you are trying to get XP on your machine as cheaply as possible, I would not spend money on a Dell-branded reinstallation disk. I would instead purchase a System Builder OEM disk.

Boot Camp is persnickety on what works and doesn't and from the Forum's perspective, we recommend you purchase what Apple indicates will work. Any other purchases are really at your risk, EULA considerations aside.

Cheers

That is useful information. Thanks!

I just feel bad for the guys who ask and get lynched for it. They are likely innocent and just curious.

We aren't your typical teenage windows users, who's system consists of 90% pirated software, after all.
At least I hope not. :Oops:

Reaction score
"We aren't your typical teenage windows users, who's system consists of 90% pirated software, after all."

Well, that's good to hear! :)

Glad to help.

Cheers

Reaction score
..... additionally ...

Boot Camp is actually saving you time here since, if it did let you go through the entire install process, Microsoft would detect it & block its' use the moment you connected to the 'net - and think how frustrating that would be!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.