share an iPhoto library between two macs on home network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
I just bought a new MBP and looking for a way to access my iPhoto library that resides on my iMac.
I am connected to my iMac using the admin account on iMac (What I usually log in with on my iMac and access the iPhoto library when i'm on the iMac). obviously I do have read and write permissions in the pictures folder of the iMac. Both iMac and MBP have iLife 09 installed.

now these are the steps I take, Alt+click on the iPhoto icon on my MBP, select choose library (as I said I am connected to my iMac as admin). I can find the iPhoto library on the iMac and select it. when iPhoto tries to use this library I get this error msg:

Caution
The iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it.

the same happens if i simply connect to iMac as admin and double click on the iPhoto library on the iMac.

my question is, as I am connected as admin and can make changes to the directory where the iPhoto Library file is, why can't I open the library file itself.

I have seen the post about sharing the iPhoto library between two accounts on the same mac but the solution to that involves moving the library file to a shared folder and give access to both the accounts, but as you know this wouldn't work for my situation as two different machines are involved.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas. let me know if you need more info.

OP
Mo_274
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
Hey,

Happy to report the problem is solved, and I could make the setup as I wanted, Just ran the disk permissions and a restart on both machines did the job, I still wonder how running the dis permission check solves such random issues! any thoughts on this?

Anyway, for others if they want to do the same, I should say that I am not going forward with this as my machines are connected using the wireless network at home, and the iPhoto library is nearly 10GB, hence the load times are very long and it wouldn't give you a satisfactory experience, iPhoto on MBP becomes unresponsive and loading large images takes a very long time. I still suspect if there's a need for this in a LAN environment or with smaller iPhoto library, it could be a good solution.

Another point I should make which is very IMPORTANT: make sure the version of iPhoto you are using on both the machines are the same otherwise, the newer iPhoto might make changes to your library and make it unusable to the older iPhoto clients.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
interesting, I would like to be able to do this from say a time capsule as our (wife and I) Iphoto library is 45 Gigs, that way she wouldn't have to have it stored on her little 60 gig hard drive for her macbook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.