8 channel sound card only appears as 2 channels

Reaction score
The soundcard in question is a cheap "Asonic" USB 8 channel external soundcard, more info here:

----SP-USB7.1-CM6206[USB Sound Card]

The problem essentially is that there are no drivers available for mac. It outputs all channels fine in Windows with the supplied software, no problems there, and it does work on the mac, appearing automatically as "USB sound device". However, this only allows playback out of 2 channels (ie stereo).

Does anyone know of a way I can get the mac to recognise all 8 output channels, or if there is a way of converting the drivers to a mac format? If anyone has any suggestions it would be a great help.

I'd like to use the for DJing with ableton, outputting 4 stereo channels into a mixer, and I've a gig tomorrow night (Friday). I do have a back-up plan, but I'd like to get this working if I can, so I'm hoping that someone has some bright ideas!

Cheers,

Chris

(I should add that I tried installing the supplied windows software using Darwine, but with no luck - the install wizard asks for the USB device to be plugged in, when it already is. Also, I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.6 on a 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 core 2 duo if thats any use.)

Reaction score
asonic card

Hi,

Caught your comments on the asonic card.

I have the same card and was wondering if you had managed to get all inputs and outputs working?

I can get 5.1 analog outputs and the mic line and spdif inputs are recognized - BUT (AND THIS IS A BIG BUT) it doesn't recognize the spdif output?

have you got a working spdif input? -if so how did you do it?

many thanks for perservering with me

Leo :Smirk:

Reaction score
CM6206 Driver

This code worked for me, under OS 10.5 and I just reran the command in 10.6.6 and it's working again. It shows up under the sound control panel. See the explanation about S/PDIF being channels 7 & 8. My USB device is a different brand but I opened it up and read the chip model number.

CM6206 Enabler for Mac OS X

Reaction score
asonic and ableton

Having read the advice and tried the cm6206 fix the soundcard is appearing properly in midi setup but still not in ableton. can anyone help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.