MMS Comes to AT&T iPhones Sept. 25

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
Here is the announcement:

AT&T Media Kit | iPhone 3GS

The feature will only be available for both iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS users. Looks like iPhone 2G customers will not be offered MMS.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
Ok I wonder what happens to those who have been hacking MMS already. Should these folks remove it now or what? The announcement says MMS will be available by update but does not mention any additional costs. So I guess if you already have unlimited texts you won't pay any additional fees? But if you don't you will have to order unlimited texts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Why would they charge more for MMS? It is included in messaging packages and is extra per use as with all other phones.

If people have the "hacked" MMS then I don't see why they wouldn't remove it. That was only used because ATT was lagging it on the release.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would they charge more for MMS? It is included in messaging packages and is extra per use as with all other phones.

If people have the "hacked" MMS then I don't see why they wouldn't remove it. That was only used because ATT was lagging it on the release.

You mean't IS NOT?

The hack that is being used for MMS also provided tethering. If the hack is removed then tethering goes too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean't IS NOT?

The hack that is being used for MMS also provided tethering. If the hack is removed then tethering goes too.

If you have a messaging plan then that includes MMS. If you do not have a messaging plan then you will pay a extra fee per MMS received.

Well you never said anything about tethering in your original post. If that person still chooses to use tethering then they will leave the app on there. I was just stating there is no reason to use a MMS hack program if MMS is already going to be provided by default. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Actually, the hacks for MMS and Tethering were similar but different. The tethering hack was easy, MMS, not so much. I suspect this update will kill tethering, but oh well. When tethering is released (possibly in the same package) it will cost extra, which is standard for the cell companies anyhow.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the hacks for MMS and Tethering were similar but different. The tethering hack was easy, MMS, not so much. I suspect this update will kill tethering, but oh well. When tethering is released (possibly in the same package) it will cost extra, which is standard for the cell companies anyhow.

Yea I know tethering it will be extra when it arrives.

I thought the hacks were the same. However, after reading your post I took a look at the instructions again. I see where they can be considered different.

I also see where current users of MMS will probably have to do nothing. They are already paying for it with unlimited messaging. The package stays the same. However, tethers might be in seeing an end to the free ride.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The tethering hack was simply uploading a hacked AT&T Carrier profile to the iPhone via iTunes and some minor editing of the network settings. Pretty simple and tethering worked pretty easy. MMS involved multiple phones and SIM cards plus editing of settings. If you didn't have another phone handy, you were sort of SOL, hence why I never finished it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
So how much extra is this bleeding edge technology gonna cost us?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So how much extra is this bleeding edge technology gonna cost us?

MMS? Nothing, it's free as it is with other phones. Tethering? My guess would be between $30 & $40/month on AT&T, which seems to be their standard fee on other phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
My bad. I thought I seen someone say it was going to cost extra. I almost fell off my chair.

Reaction score
When this update is released, what will happen with my jailbreak? I dont want to lose everything, and I heard app backup is unreliable...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's likely coming with the 3.1 update, which means it will wipe your jailbreak and you will have to do it all over again.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By now everyone has probably read that 3.1 breaks the MMS and tethering hacks along with jailbreaks. All over the internet this is being said with an exception of few folks. For those that did not experience a hack break there seems to be no rhyme or reason why their hacks were not broken.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.