Advice Please... PB Ram and an owners review

S

Subzero3886

IM considering getting a Powerbook 15'' w/ superdrives as well. I'd just like a review from an owner first because its a big investment. Also If this is what Ill be doing on my laptop, is 512 mb of RAM enough: Instant Messaging, Sarfari, Microsoft Word/ Powerpoint, cd burning, itunes, ical..., maybe a little bit og gaming on the new Star Wars battlefront game for mac? I mean if I dont get it... and i find i'd like it to run faster I could always buy an upgrade later?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Much cheaper to get it with the standard ram and upgrade it yourself

OP
S

Subzero3886

trpnmonkey41 said:
Much cheaper to get it with the standard ram and upgrade it yourself

yea I've been looking for a new laptop for a while now, and Ive just been blown away with all of apples features like ical

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
Hi, I've just bought the new Powerbook G4 and it works fine with the standard RAM, I use pretty much the same programs. It's a bit slow when I do my video editing using Final Cut Express (but I was expecting that!).
The Powerbook is great, I've been looking at buying for a whole year and it has performed above and beyond my expectations so far. :)
Hope this helps!

OP
S

Subzero3886

It does, in June I believe I'll be getting a 15'' Powerbok g4, 1.67 GHz, 512 mb, 128 vram, 80 gb hd, and all those features that come with it

thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I have a 12" Powerbook which originally had 256MB ram! I upgraded myself to 1.25GB. Makes a **** of a lot of difference for what i do (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Fireworks). I usually hook it up to a 23" TFT monitor, but i am using it more as a portable now, so i may get the 15" model (bad eyesight, 12" is a killer!). Here is my overview of it:
Sublime build
Beautiful to look at and use
Superb operating system
Hugely fast!

The only problem i have had, was the monitor. Firstly its too small, and secndly last month it broke! It was in and out of apples depot faster than you could say cat in a hat, completely fixed under warranty! Brilliant computer, brilliant OS, brilliant everything!
Get one!
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
since when is h ell a naughty, naughty word?

OP
R

roadracr

Subzero,

I've been a Mac user since the 512K Fat Mac in '85. Left the Mac platform in disgust in the late '90's (around OS 7.6 time frame) and returned a year and a half ago with an iMac and OS X. I use the iMac extensively and am once more a strong Apple advocate.

While I've been carrying Windows portables for years, my great experience after returning to the Mac-side convinced me to purchase a fully loaded PB15 last month and I couldn't be happier. I am still using the stock 512 MB RAM and it works fine for the list of programs you mention. It runs the Mac Office 2004 suite fine (I use Entourage instead of Mail because I like the project center), the graphics performance and screen resolution are great and I have no complaints other than the fact that the machine runs hot and you need some kind of thermal barrier if you are to sit it on your lap for an extended period. (All laptops feel hot, but this PB feels hotter than the Dells and HPs I've been using)

At some point I'll increase RAM as I move more of my video editing tasks from the iMAC to the PB, but this is not a big deal with the availability of 1 GB SO-DIMMs for $160.00 or so.

My advice, go for the current G4 PB, it is an excellent value. I've found nothing (save for the heat) to complain about. It's just a great, well implemented machiine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.