Real MS exchange

Reaction score
I got my SL upgrade today and before I upgrade I just wanted to know if anyone has actually tested the Microsoft Exchange support?

I use my Blackberry with my MS exchange server and on my MBP I use entourage. Is the support for the exchange server in the apple programs (ical, imail, etc) the same as in entourage? As I update mail, contacts, calender, it will update the exchange server?

Any one got any first hand knowledge or experience with this?

Thanks
DTT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Unfortunately Apple is not completely honest about the "out of the box support for Exchange". Here is a good read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It works, so long as you're using Exchange Server 2007. Compared to Entourage, it adds some features and lacks others.

As always, Mail and iCal are faster than Entourage. Their interfaces are less cluttered. iCal will show conference rooms and other resources properly, not as contacts like Entourage does. iCal will display multiple Exchange calendars overlaid in the same window; Entourage requires separate windows that each cover whole screen, so it's difficult to compare calendars. Mail supports hyperlinks in messages; Entourage doesn't. Mail's spam filter works better than Entourage's did.

On the other hand, Entourage supports Exchange categories, and can theoretically sync notes and tasks to the Exchange server. (Doesn't work for me.) iCal doesn't support this. Also, Entourage has Projects (which will never sync to Exchange) and supports links between messages and/or events, which are nice.

There's really no reason not to use Mail/iCal/Address Book if you have Snow Leopard and use Exchange. Since everything is stored on the server anyway, you can use Apple's applications and Entourage at the same time, and go back and forth if you need a particular feature. I use Mail and iCal most of the time now, but I haven't gotten rid of Entourage, either.

Neither supports server side rules, and neither is as capable as Outlook.

I have no doubt that Apple will add better Exchange support in future versions of OS X, and Microsoft has already promised a Mac version of Outlook in the next release of Office.
Unfortunately Apple is not completely honest about the "out of the box support for Exchange". Here is a good read.
There is nothing dishonest about what Apple has said, in that article or anywhere else. Apple never said it was producing a Windows Outlook clone. And that article is over a year old, long before Snow Leopard came out, so he was just speculating and several of his points are inaccurate.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
I am having a heck of a time getting the native programs (imail, ical, address book) to find my exchange server......hmmmm

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you sure that your Exchange servers are running 2007?

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
Are you sure that your Exchange servers are running 2007?

I confirmed that it is 2007.

What is happening for example.

I ical, I setup everything then I see the 'name' that I used on the left side of the calender screen. There is a ~ looking icon to the right of the name. I click on it, then it asks me for an email address. I enter the email address associated with the exchange server....I enter it then nothing happens from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Did you set up the account in Mail first?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.