why remove serial numbers

Reaction score
I have a client that gave three Macbooks to a contractor for a project. When the project was over the Macbooks were returned. They were missing the metal serial number plate and the serial number has been removed from the OS. The only thing I can think of is that they purchased refurbs, removed the serial numbers and gave those back so they could keep the ones under warranty. Can you guys think of any other reason to remove the serial numbers?

Reaction score
I think you're right on the money.

And your client, he's not doing anything about that, I would urge him to take
legal steps against the malafide contrator.

Where have the honest people gone these days :(

OP
U
Reaction score
Yes, the lawyers are involved already. Would I be able to get these units serviced without serial numbers? I know it would have to be considered out of warranty, but would they even work on them?

Reaction score
As long as you pay for the service, they will work on anything...

Unless there's a way to prove these are the machines attached to those warranties.

hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Sometimes, I can't believe how a person you would trust would even think of doing such a thing. If you can't trust a contractor, that's bad! I wonder what else they tried to sneak by!?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.