Can i reinstall Leopard from Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I'm having major problems with Snow Leopard as i cannot use my Canon LIDE 600 scanner as every time i launch it i get the message 'application quit unexpectedly'. Also i had problems with my HP5150 deskjet printer as Snow Leopard is have-ing real problems with HP printers.
Can i just put my Leopard disk in and reinstall leopard to remove Snow Leopard?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, you will have to do an Erase & Install if you don't have a backup. This means that all data is lost and you'll have to start from scratch.

I would recommend creating a backup first using either Time Machine or SuperDuper so that you can import your data back in following the Erase and Install.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, you will have to do an Erase & Install if you don't have a backup. This means that all data is lost and you'll have to start from scratch.

I would recommend creating a backup first using either Time Machine or SuperDuper so that you can import your data back in following the Erase and Install.
Hi cwa -

If you use Time Machine to do a backup, will that backup the applications also? I'm thinking I want to also erase & reinstall Leopard but I don't want to reinstall all my applications. If Time Machines does backup the applications, how do I re-import them after Leopard is reinstalled?

Thanks,
Wyman

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Time Machine will do a full backup. See this document for doing a full recovery:

Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Recovering your entire system

But I would question the wisdom of reverting back to Leopard at this stage. 10.6 is rock solid for me at this point with very few applications not updated. What kinds of problems are you having - and did you do a clean install when you installed it in the first place?

Reaction score
Yes, Time Machine will do a full backup. See this document for doing a full recovery:

Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Recovering your entire system

But I would question the wisdom of reverting back to Leopard at this stage. 10.6 is rock solid for me at this point with very few applications not updated. What kinds of problems are you having - and did you do a clean install when you installed it in the first place?

Thanks for your reply.

My problem is that it takes my iMac at least 30 secs to restart and shutdown now - whereas when I had Leopard, it took literally couple secs max. I created a separate thread for this but no replies yet. I don't know if any of the updates slowed this process down or what but it's nerve wrecking. I didn't do a clean install - just an upgrade. Even called Applecare and their procedures didn't help either.

Reaction score
Ok, one more quick question. If when/I restore the Time Machine backup from Snow Leopard, will it try to update Leopard back to SL? The only items I wanted restored are the applications(i.e. Toast, iWorks, etc.) I installed and my documents/downloads folders. I'm going to 'assume' that the applications that came with the system are automatically installed when Leopard is installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac C2D, 3.33Ghz, 8mb Ram; 24" iMac, 2.66Ghz, 4mb Ram; 14" iBook
Thanks for your reply.

My problem is that it takes my iMac at least 30 secs to restart and shutdown now - whereas when I had Leopard, it took literally couple secs max. I created a separate thread for this but no replies yet. I don't know if any of the updates slowed this process down or what but it's nerve wrecking. I didn't do a clean install - just an upgrade. Even called Applecare and their procedures didn't help either.

To try and speed up your start-up times check System Preferences>Startup Disk and ensure 'Mac OSX, 10.6.x on Macintosh HD' is selected and then do a restart. This has worked for a lot of people who complained of slow start up times on the Apple Discussions forum. Mind you, 'a couple of seconds' startup time sounds much quicker than any Snow Leopard startup I've ever seen. I've got it on two Core2 duo iMacs and they both take around 20 seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
Printers are problems in their own, especially HP. With Snow Leopard it is helpful to go to the HP site and download the most current drivers for your system. I had to for my Canon Pixma MP 620.

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that responded. Issue has been resolved. It was remnants of Parallels Desktop. There were 2 services still running after I thought I had deleted it completely. I went to their website for complete removal instructions and that seemed to do the trick.

Now I'm wondering if I should update to 10.6.3. I've been reading where lots of people are having issues with it and a lot are not.

Your thoughts?

Wyman

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to everyone that responded. Issue has been resolved. It was remnants of Parallels Desktop. There were 2 services still running after I thought I had deleted it completely. I went to their website for complete removal instructions and that seemed to do the trick.

Now I'm wondering if I should update to 10.6.3. I've been reading where lots of people are having issues with it and a lot are not.

Your thoughts?

Wyman

I don't think you have anything to worry about. 10.6.3 is rock solid. People that are complaining about it are paranoid - they have another underlying issue that they're attributing to an update, because "something changed". This same mentality is prevalent every time I roll a patch out to my Windows machines at work - and 99.8% of the time, it has nothing to do with the patch.

Reaction score
I don't think you have anything to worry about. 10.6.3 is rock solid. People that are complaining about it are paranoid - they have another underlying issue that they're attributing to an update, because "something changed". This same mentality is prevalent every time I roll a patch out to my Windows machines at work - and 99.8% of the time, it has nothing to do with the patch.
Ok thanks cw.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.