Best Apple notebook to buy for windows

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new/used mac laptop and one of my requirements is that it can run windows software at a similar level to that of a pc.

What is the best notebook (ideally 17" screen") that would do this?
I am willing to compromise slightly if the price/performance is slight.

My understanding is that it would need to be an intel based machine and running Bootcamp?

Thanks for any help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new/used mac laptop and one of my requirements is that it can run windows software at a similar level to that of a pc.

What is the best notebook (ideally 17" screen") that would do this?
I am willing to compromise slightly if the price/performance is slight.

My understanding is that it would need to be an intel based machine and running Bootcamp?

Thanks for any help.

It would probably help to know what Windows software you need to run (other than high end games)...but generally, any 17" Macintosh laptop (MacBook Pro) with an Intel CPU can do what you need.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also note that when you run Windows on a Mac, it is no different than running Windows on a PC. At a hardware level, Macs use the same commodity x86 components. So, there is no degradation of performance when compared to a PC of the same or similar specification. There is no emulation involved, it runs directly on the hardware, unless you're using a virtualization product like VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop (but I don't want to muddy the waters here).

Reaction score
There is only one Mac 17" notebook, if that's the size you want. Please read the "Switcher's Guide" sticky at the top of the page, it has a lot of good information. The real question is what kind of software are you running - whether it requires a dedicated graphics card or doesn't. Games and CAD programs, as well as video editing and similar software, generally do. The 17" MacBook Pro comes with a very good graphics card so you are good to go.

There are less expensive Macs (13" and 15" model notebooks), with either nVidia 9400M integrated graphics or separate graphics adapters. Your decision to run Windows in BootCamp or in a virtual machine (using Fusion, Parallels or Virtual Box) will also be driven to some extent by your anticipated end use. The sticky goes through a lot of this.

Good luck - these are great machines.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Best Apple notebook to buy for windows?
None of them... get a Dell, HP, Acer, etc., etc., etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is only one Mac 17" notebook, if that's the size you want.

Apple has released at least 6 different models of the 17" MacBook Pro with an Intel CPU.

Yes there is only one 17" MBP currently available as a "new" laptop...but the "OP" mentioned that they're interested in a new OR used laptop so that opens things up beyond just new options.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this just to run Windows on? No OSX? If so, I agree with DB, None of them.

You did say Bootcamp. Do you plan on using OSX at all?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming that the OP wants to be able to run OS X applications as well...otherwise it would seem pretty silly to buy a Mac Laptop just to run Windows.
Confusing!
crazyeyes.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
it would seem pretty silly to buy a Mac Laptop just to run Windows.
I agree, very silly indeed... yet you would be surprised how many people plan on doing just that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree, very silly indeed... yet you would be surprised how many people plan on doing just that.

Maybe buying a Mac that can run Windows "natively" (via boot camp)...is a "safety net" for some folks "just in case" they don't like the "Mac experience"!

Of course if we never hear from the "OP" again...we will never know for sure in this case! Boo, hoo...
smiley-sad010.gif

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back.

I've always used Macs and been very happy with them. My plan is to stick with them.

As for the PC aspect. I would like to run Window XP minimum really, running pretty basic software that run on the internet (live data feeds), nothing graphic intensive and certainly not games either. Just as long as its not going be particularly noticably slower than a PC and ideally the same speed as.

It was mentioned that Macs have the same components and should run the same as a PC - does this include a Power Pc or just Intel?

I have a g3 deskop but would maybe a G4 powerbook do the job sufficiently?
Would be cheaper but i don't want anything sluggish...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was mentioned that Macs have the same components and should run the same as a PC - does this include a Power Pc or just Intel?

I have a g3 deskop but would maybe a G4 powerbook do the job sufficiently?
Would be cheaper but i don't want anything sluggish...

If you want to run Windows on a Mac laptop...your best bet is to get a Mac laptop with an Intel CPU.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.