How to clear completely before selling?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OSX Intel
Hi there, I've just bought a Macbook Pro and have two questions:
1) I need to safely transfer all my files and setting from my current 2007 Macbook to the new machine. I'm running time machine so I know the original system is completely backed up but I'm worried about pulling files from time machine into a newly configured system. Will that be straightforward or do I need to back up folders separately?
2) I then need to completely and safely clear the older system before I hand over to the person I've sold it to. They are very computer literate and I want to make sure none of my 'deleted' files are retrievable. Will a system reinstall do the trick or do I need to delve in deeper?

Many thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
1) Backup, Backup Backup!

2) Insert OS X Disk and reboot machine holding C on bootup.
-- Once you have clicked the language then go to top menu bar and select "Disk Utility"
-- Select the drive in the left pane
-- Now select the erase tab in the middle
-- Make sure "Journal or extended Journal is selected"
-- Hit erase button.
-- DONE!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OSX Intel
Thank you Andy-much appreciated!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
They are very computer literate and I want to make sure none of my 'deleted' files are retrievable.

If you're "super" concerned about this...when you are in the disk utility screen/window (as Andy M described by booting from the OS X disk)...you can click on "Security Options"...and choose an option there.

This option will "Securely Erase" your hard drive by writing 1's or 0's to the hard drive. You can choose a 1, 7, or 35 pass overwrite.

Warning...this can take a long time...so I usually only use the "single pass" method. The "7-pass" choice is supposed to meet the US Department of Defense standard for securely erasing magnetic media. But then the 7-pass will also take 7 times longer to complete.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OSX Intel
Thanks Nick, I have the time but it's probably not necessary to be that particular about it. It's not like I'm working for the secret service or anything so I should be fine! It's good to know though..Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.