Find my password for AirPort

Reaction score
Alright I have kind of a strange problem.

The school I'm going to gives every student a MBP when they start school. I started back in July and I've been having issues with my MBP since the beginning. Most of the problems are just finder being really slow and safari freezing up for about 30sec every 5min. For those reasons I've decided to just perform a clean install of snow leopard.

My problem is that the school has two wireless networks. Both networks are for the students but only one has no password on it; that network is secured with MAC address filtering. Since they do it with MAC addresses you can only have one computer working on the network at a time. This is a problem since I bring two MBPs to class with me.

The second network is secured with a password. This network is is called "*schoolname* Guest". They don't give students the password for this network, so I'm not sure who it's for but I do know that it reaches the parking lot and a lot more buildings than the MAC address filtered one.

When I was receiving my laptop a teacher typed the password for the password protected network into my computer. They didn't click save password but my MBP is still remembering the network's password. This allows me to connect to still that network really handy since it reaches every building and I can roam the campus without loosing connection. Plus, this connection is 3Mbit faster!

If I wipe my HDD then I know the password will be lost forever. I want to know if there is any way to find the password since it has to be stored on the computer somewhere.

I don't think it's being stored on my keychain because I have my keychain synced with MobileMe and my other MBP doesn't have the network's password.

When I go to AirPort Settings => Advanced => Preferred Networks
the network is listed. When I click the edit button it shows the password field as blank, no dots.

The network is protected with a WPA Personal password.

If you managed to read all of that and somehow comprehend it ;) I would appreciate any help. It's really helpful to be able to connect to this network and I don't want to lose it.

Thanks for any help
-callforhelp62

I checked in my Keychain Access and this is how the entry looks.
Everything in the computer makes it look like the network has no password saved. But it does.
AirPortPassword.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hard to see the problem - if they gave you the password once then why would they not hand it out again for the MBP with the same MAC with SL on it. Mine p/w's are in keychain - open keychain and double click the network and when u see this

Click for full size

you have to enter your admin password which will then show network p/w

OP
C
Reaction score
Ohhhh... Duh. I just figured it out. I wasn't adding putting in my password because I thought that the password field would be filled by dots until you clicked show password which would change the dots to the password.

Thank you so much!

One more question:

Why would the computer still save the password when she didn't click "save password"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Not sure - my guess is NO - anyone else?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.