Will not Boot Past Black Screen

Reaction score
Hi. Recently I have had a problem starting my MacBook Pro. It had been in sleep and I had come back to notice it wouldn't get out of sleep, just on the black screen. I shut it down and tried to restart it, heard all the fans spin and what not, but there is no picture, just the black screen. I did everything here: Troubleshooting a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro that won't turn on and it wasn't of any help to me. I have the Mac OSX install disc stuck in the drive and i can not get that out. I am not that tech smart, so can anyone give me any ideas on what I should do?

Reaction score
I have very much similar situation. My macbook 13 mid 2007 won't start or boot. I can hear my HD is spinning and the bottom part of the macbook was warm. I did all kind of reset like SMC,PRAM, etc. I can't pass the black screen and only the sleep light is lid. If anyone has any great suggestion, please let me know. By the way, it is out of warranty....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If both of these are another case of the Nvidia GPU dying - call Apple - the warranty was extended for that issue - not sure for how long, but already had one member have his taken care of this week.

To get your disk out - hold down the trackpad button while booting the machine.

Reaction score
Nvidia GPU

I am having the identical problem.

Is there a way to test if it is the NVIDIA GPU that is the problem?

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66ghz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HD
could also be a mem problem... try pulling sticks and see what happens

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.