MBP Expresscard Slot HOT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 2.4Ghz Core2Duo, 4GB Ram, 250GB Seagate Momentus 7200.3
Hi all,

I just joined the forum and I'm hoping some veteran MBP users can help ease my mind about something.

I've had a MBP3,1 for about 2 years with little issue. I do find it gets a wee bit warm, but I've heard that that's normal and I always use a laptop cooler at home. I've recently started using a Sonnet Tempo eSATA expresscard to hook connect my external HDs. I've noticed that whenever I remove the card after use (like after I shutdown my notebook), the card itself is pretty hot (I can hold onto it, but its just surprising how hot it is). I know the express card slot lies near the HD and some other hot components, but should I worry that the heat will cause my expresscard to break prematurely? It's a pricey card that I'd hate to have to replace.

Any thoughts on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Isky

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't speak for that particular card, but most cards that are used as a controller interface (which yours is) do get warm. Remember, eSATA transfer rates (theoretically) are triple that of USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. That alone should tell you that things are going to get a little warm. :)

I would contact the manufacturer of the card or else obtain a spec sheet, and see just what temperature range it's designed to operate at.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 2.4Ghz Core2Duo, 4GB Ram, 250GB Seagate Momentus 7200.3
Thanks for the input. I've written Sonnet about it and I'll post back with the reply as reference for anyone else with this (or similar) cards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.