Snow Leopard upgrade question

Reaction score
I recently bought a mac at best buy, and I got the Geeksquad optimization (not my choice, believe me), and now I know very little about installing the OS, which leads me to my question.

If I were to do a format when upgrading Leopard, is there any way I could get iLife back without buying it again? I know my computer came with an application install dvd -- does this have iLife, or just basic applications?

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yes, but I think you want the box set, which includes Snow Leopard, and the '09 versions of iLife and iWork. As I understand it, the previous versions will not run as well if you just upgrade the OS.

They used to give you a break if you bought a new Mac within so many months/weeks of new software releases. I haven't seen info about that this time, but it might be worth checking into that possibility.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, but I think you want the box set, which includes Snow Leopard, and the '09 versions of iLife and iWork. As I understand it, the previous versions will not run as well if you just upgrade the OS.

The iMac is new and has the latest version of iLife, so am I all set?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I recently bought a mac at best buy, and I got the Geeksquad optimization (not my choice, believe me), and now I know very little about installing the OS, which leads me to my question.

Just for future reference, and those that read this thread, the Geek Squad's optimization is mostly aimed at Windows machines. It essentially cleans out the "crapware" that is included with most PCs. There is no "crapware" on Macs, nor is there any kind of optimization the script kiddies at the Geek Squad can do. In this case, they probably booted the machine, registered it for you and merrily charged your credit card.

You are NOT required to purchase this service no matter how hard they try to sell it. Best Buy's margins are so slim, they require their sales people to push a certain number of these services and they will certainly make you think that you have to purchase it. DO NOT, it is a scam.

If I were to do a format when upgrading Leopard, is there any way I could get iLife back without buying it again? I know my computer came with an application install dvd -- does this have iLife, or just basic applications?

Thanks for any help.

The System Discs that were provided with your computer contain both the original OS it was sold with and the iLife suite.

However, there is no need to format and start all over again. If you just pop in the Snow Leopard disc, it will do a simple upgrade and all of your data and apps will be retained.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

They used to give you a break if you bought a new Mac within so many months/weeks of new software releases. I haven't seen info about that this time, but it might be worth checking into that possibility.

iLife and iWork '08 both run fine on Snow Leopard. Leopard users can upgrade simply by purchasing the $29 upgrade. In fact, if the computer was bought sometime between the beginning of June and now, you are eligible for a $10 "up-to-date" version.

OP
P
Reaction score
Just for future reference, and those that read this thread, the Geek Squad's optimization is mostly aimed at Windows machines. It essentially cleans out the "crapware" that is included with most PCs. There is no "crapware" on Macs, nor is there any kind of optimization the script kiddies at the Geek Squad can do. In this case, they probably booted the machine, registered it for you and merrily charged your credit card.

You are NOT required to purchase this service no matter how hard they try to sell it. Best Buy's margins are so slim, they require their sales people to push a certain number of these services and they will certainly make you think that you have to purchase it. DO NOT, it is a scam.

The System Discs that were provided with your computer contain both the original OS it was sold with and the iLife suite.

However, there is no need to format and start all over again. If you just pop in the Snow Leopard disc, it will do a simple upgrade and all of your data and apps will be retained.

I didn't want to get it, but it wasn't my choice. Seeing as its not entirely my purchase, it was mostly my moms choice to get it because they said they made it "faster", I tried to explain to her that it was a rip off but they insisted it was worth every penny :(

Thanks for the help though, and I don't really know why - but I always preferred clean installs instead of updates.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't want to get it, but it wasn't my choice. Seeing as its a family computer, it was mostly my moms choice to get it because they said they made it "faster", I tried to explain to her that it was a rip off but they insisted it was worth every penny :(

Thanks for the help though, and I don't really know why - but I always preferred clean installs instead of updates.

Thanks for the help though.

With the way Snow Leopard does the upgrade, it is essentially the same as a clean install.

The old OS is completely removed and the new one installed, then the apps and user profiles are imported back in. There is no need for a clean install.

My advice to you would be to check the Windows mentality at the door, OS X is a different bird entirely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Found this at AppleInsider:

The Mac OS X Snow Leopard Up-to-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller between June 8, 2009 and the end of the program on December 26, 2009

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
With the way Snow Leopard does the upgrade, it is essentially the same as a clean install.

The old OS is completely removed and the new one installed, then the apps and user profiles are imported back in. There is no need for a clean install.

My advice to you would be to check the Windows mentality at the door, OS X is a different bird entirely.

This is correct: just put in the disk ( snow leopard) it will upgrade and keep all your settings. Get snow leopard for $10. Simple. I upgraded from tiger and all my files and settings and applications where saved to snow leopard. ( I had to use the box set)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.