What is it that limits my RAM capabilities?

Reaction score
Is it the hardware or the software? I thought it was the hardware until I read that with Snow Leopard being 64bit you'll be able to read more RAM. I also read that it is only if you need to read more than 32GB of RAM... uh, no I don't need to read more than 32GB of RAM.

Got a 17" 2.4 MacBook Pro 3,1 with a 64bit processor, 64bit EFI, but a 32bit Kernel... what does corn have to do with it? KIDDING! ;P

For the record I tried booting in 64bit mode and no go. Called apple and they said my processor limits me to a 32bit kernel and that 6 months later the new processor could do 64bit kernel.

Can someone squash this dilemma once and for all please. What is it that limits me to only 4gigs of RAMage? :Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can someone squash this dilemma once and for all please. What is it that limits me to only 4gigs of RAMage? :Confused:

This "dilemma" has already been squashed multiple times...and if we "squashed it once and for all" now...someone new would post the same question tomorrow!!!;)

Honestly...try some searches in either the hardware or Mac OS software forums...and you should get multiple threads with answers.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.