• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to leave Nvidia going to ATi

Reaction score
Just read this and thought Dam that sucks, I like Nvidia more than ATi

Story

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
If nVidia is the one responsible for the issues with their chips (and not improper cooling from Apple design), then I think it's fair that Apple act on this as their big advertising and image is that things "just work" and that they are more reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
Will this apply to the mini and the other Macbooks. It jsut mentions the iMacs and the MacBook Pros.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
My iMac already has an ATI based card in it, so I see no issues at all, I like nvidia and ati equally they both do good things. I just a certain series within each of them.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They put a 4850 in the MBP and it just might be time to trade up from this 3 yr old one.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The worst thing about ATI has always been the drivers, the hardware (at least for me) was always stout, but the drivers were buggy. If Apple's doing the drivers and using ATI's GPUs, I think it's a match made in heaven.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The worst thing about ATI has always been the drivers, the hardware (at least for me) was always stout, but the drivers were buggy. If Apple's doing the drivers and using ATI's GPUs, I think it's a match made in heaven.

You got that one right. Loved their hardware since the late 90's. Used the All-in-Wonder cards through several generations.
Some great gamer / tuner card combos back then.

Drivers were admittedly always a pitr to a)get installed and b)to get working correctly. Ever tried 2 ATI cards in a machine back then, one for graphics and a separate tuner and get both working - those were the days.

Still have one of their HD/digital tuner cards stashed that doesn't recognize broadcast flags I've been holding on to.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with CWA and Bob. I have had the best luck overall with ATI cards over the years. Very dependable. Just some driver issues. I would much rather deal with a driver issue than hardware dying especially in a Notebook or iMac where it's basically impossible to change the card since it's on the main board!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Good news, otherwise it was going to be pretty expensive with Nvidia's stupid expensive prices on the newer cars (GTX260/280/295, etc), and I've always had great luck with ATi over the years. Like everybody else, I've had driver issues too, but only minor ones.

ALTHOUGH, if they are switching completely to ATi... could this lead to a future partnership with AMD?? Unlikely, but something to think about...

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
I mean I think apple should go with what is going to benifit them, but I dunno I always have this odd image of ATi after AMD bought them out, mostly because I really stopped liking AMD procs but thats just me again to each is own ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for that Tech! I remember that like it was yesterday. Never open your mouth before Jobs does about new Macs or Jobs will blow! :D

Logic, I also was a very large AMD supporter. All my home built systems were AMD for years and I recommended AMD to all my friends. Then Intel came out with the Core Architecture and I sort of got a bit cold toward AMD since that day. I still do like AMD as a company, but it just that Intel's CPUs for the last few years have been so much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
I've been an AMD fan only up until about a year ago, mainly because a lot of the time Intel's procs weren't as quick as they said they were (for example, you would buy a Centrino 2.8Ghz and it would actually be clocked at 2.53Ghz), but that doesn't seem to happen any more, and they do run a lot cooler and quieter, so if I did do another build, it would be E8400s or Q6600s rather than more Opterons or Phenoms.

It is very unlikely that Apple would move to AMD because of the reason that they run too hot and too loud to fit Apple's smooth, quiet style. I mean, my MBP runs hot enough as it is, with AMDs I would end up with burn marks on my legs xD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for that Tech! I remember that like it was yesterday.

I was thinking the same thing...we've been down this road before!!!
Just think if Apple went back to Motorola CPU's!!
ugly004.gif

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't remember that since I was a hardcore gamer back then and spent my time walking right past the Apple aisles in the stores.

That sure was my thought when I saw the story though. What idiot at AMD/ATI would have leaked such a thing before they're here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook 160 GB HD 4GB RAM 2.0 GHz intel processor
Nvidia is much crisper and clearer then ATi FML

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Nvidia is much crisper and clearer then ATi FML
I disagree they are pretty much equal as long as you compare equal models. For example if your looking at a $400 nvidia card then look at a $400 ATI card. The only issue that I have ever had with ATI cards is that tend to run a little hotter but as long as you have proper cooling it is no issue at all.

And P.S there is no need for the FML part, we all know what it stands for and it doesn't belong here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 15.4" Santa Rosa (C2D, 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD)
*gasp* Motorola... they're slow enough in cell phones.. why even *HINT* at wanting them back in the food chain? ROFL

Besides, with many cellphone makers bringing Android-based devices to market, I think that will eventually pave the way for scaled versions of MacOS to be used on them as well... *anticipatory whimpering*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard
Geez I am a big fan of NVIDIA , Adobe runs better on NVIDIA as well. Starting to get a little bummed here

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.