Internet Explorer On A Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 Ghz, 4 gb, 500g, Lion; iPhone 4, 16gb; iPad 2 32gb, WiFi; iPhone 4s, 32gb
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this questions but here goes:

I'm a realtor and my MLS software requires that I use Windows Explorer. (I've tried Safari, Firefox and Opera...none will work right with it.)

I know I can run explorer virtually using Fusion but was wondering if anyone knows of a "Mac Compatible" version of Explorer, which would be easier than messing with Fusion. (I found a version 5.2, but that seems REALLY old.)

Thanks!

Reaction score
I use Fusion and love it, and there are other options, such as Parallels and Crossover for Mac (Windows Applications Seamlessly Integrated on Mac OS X - Mac Windows - CodeWeavers) and Virtual Box (http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/index.jsp). Virtual Box is free. Fusion, Parallels and Virtual Box require that you have a licensed copy of Windows that meets certain requirements. Crossover is not free ($40 for the standard version) but I don't think it requires a copy of Windows to run (not sure about that, however, since I've never used it).

Good luck!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 Ghz, 4 gb, 500g, Lion; iPhone 4, 16gb; iPad 2 32gb, WiFi; iPhone 4s, 32gb
Thanks for the suggestions. I have VM Fusion and can run explorer that way, but it takes so long to load that I was hoping I might be able to find a version of explorer that would run native on OS X.

Judging from the wikipedia article, I'm out of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Well, yes, there's ies4osx, but you have to install WINE first. It's some terminal commands and I'm not sure where I found it. David Baumgold, I think.

Or, if it's just web pages, you can use Safari. Enable the "Develop" menu in the menu bar (in Advanced preferences, bottom of the window) and go to Develop > User Agent > Internet Explorer 8.0/7.0/6.0. Now, Safari will still look like Safari, but the web page will think it's Internet Explorer for Windows.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, yes, there's ies4osx, but you have to install WINE first. It's some terminal commands and I'm not sure where I found it. David Baumgold, I think.

ie4osx is self-contained and is a simple install (detailed in the link I provided).

Or, if it's just web pages, you can use Safari. Enable the "Develop" menu in the menu bar (in Advanced preferences, bottom of the window) and go to Develop > User Agent > Internet Explorer 8.0/7.0/6.0. Now, Safari will still look like Safari, but the web page will think it's Internet Explorer for Windows.

Although this will make Safari spoof its browser ID, it does not give it the capabilities of IE (namely ActiveX support) and as such will not work for MLS.

Reaction score
For the OP, it's probably worth giving Crossover a try then - there is a free trial period, so you can check it out for free and see if it gives you better performance than you are getting from your Fusion install.

Good luck!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks....according to the Crossover website, there's a compatibility issue with running explorer and they don't recommend it....bummer!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA107:

I've downloaded Darwin and ie4osx....anything I need to do other than install Darwin and then select IE 7 from the other program?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just start the IE installation by double-clicking on ie4osx.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA107:

Thanks for your suggestion....I installed Darwine and then ies4osx, which installed explorer 6 and can run most everything with just a few hic-cups. Question: Assuming I can download a copy, do you know if explorer 7 will work with Darwine? (6.0 was the only option ies4osx gave me.)

Thanks again for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.